What is Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)?

Student Services Building

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) is designed to cover any extra costs or expenses you might have while studying arising from your disability, health condition or specific learning difference.  You do not need to be claiming tuition fees and/or living-costs support in order to claim DSA.  For more information on the eligibility criteria, please contact us to discuss your individual circumstances.

 There are three parts to DSA:

  • Basic allowance: this can pay for additional photocopying or printing costs, ink cartridges and paper.
  • Large items allowance: this can pay for digital recorders and assistive software.
  • Non-medical personal help allowance: this can pay for proof-reading and specialist study skills tuition.

What Evidence will I be asked to provide in support for my application for DSA?

Evidence for Dyslexia and other SpLDs:

Your funding body (such as SAAS and SFE) will require an educational psychologist report as evidence of your dyslexia or other specific learning difference.  If you already have a report from an educational psychologist or specialist teacher, you should provide it to us prior to or at your first appointment.  If you do not have a report, or if your report is dated prior to your sixteenth birthday, please contact us and we will arrange for you to have an up-to-date evaluation.   

Evidence for sensory impairments, social communication conditions, mental health problems, health conditions, physical impairments and other disabilities:

Your funding body (such as SAAS and SFE) will require evidence from a GP or health care professional which states your diagnosis.  It should also outline any impact on your studies and your attendance at University.  

You might find it is helpful to share our Disability and Dyslexia Centre - Guidance for Medical Evidence (PDF 37KB) with your GP or health care professionals.

What is an Assessment of Needs?

Once you have provided evidence of your specific learning difference or disability, your Disability Adviser will refer you for an Assessment of Needs appointment.  The purpose of this is to identify your support needs.  

Disability and Dyslexia Centre - Assessment of Needs (PDF 34KB)

For more information about DSA and the Assessment of Needs process, and whether you might be eligible to apply:

Contact us to arrange an appointment with your Disability Adviser