Disability and Dyslexia
The team at the Disability and Dyslexia Centre can provide you with information and advice to support you in your studies.
We have many years’ experience of supporting students with dyslexia, sensory and mobility impairments, mental health difficulties, medical conditions, autism spectrum disorders and temporary impairments, such as broken limbs.
You can contact us at any time before or during your studies and we are happy to speak to applicants, enquirers, parents, teachers and those from support organisations.
We can provide:
- Exam arrangements such as extra time
- Dyslexia screening and evaluation
- In-house assessment of needs
- Application for Disabled Students’ Allowance
- Liaison with external agencies, for example the Autism Initiatives or the RNIB
- Support in organising in-class support
Disabled Students’ Allowance supports the additional study costs arising from disability, health condition or specific learning difference.
- long-term health conditions
- physical disabilities
- mental health conditions
- specific learning difficulties, e.g. dyslexia
- social & communication disorders, e.g. autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
The university's computer network supports TextHELP Read and Write Gold and Mindjet MindManager. These software packages can be particularly useful for students with specific learning differences.
Parking on Campus
The University is committed to assisting those with mobility impairments to access facilities and resources.
Information you provide will be treated as sensitive personal data. We provide a confidential service to all our students, applicants and enquirers. Any information that you provide us will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
T: 01224 262103