Books by Post
As a distance learning student, you can ask for books to be sent by post to addresses in the United Kingdom (including the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or British Forces addresses overseas). Books cannot be posted overseas.
How can I request a postal loan?
- Go to LibrarySearch, log on with your RGU User ID and password and search for the book you wish to borrow. Make sure you select the correct edition if there are several options.
- Click on the Title of the book and then scroll down to the ‘Request Options - Place Hold’ link.
- Select ‘Personal Delivery - Home Address’ from the Pickup Location drop down menu.
- If you would like us to post the book to a different address, please enter the full details in the Comment field.
- If you need to use the book by a specific date, enter this at Pickup Date.
- Click on the Place Hold button.
How many items can I request?
You can borrow up to 15 books at any one time. Reference items cannot be borrowed.
How will I receive my books?
Postal loans are sent by recorded delivery so please be sure to choose a delivery address where a signature can be obtained. Outward postage will be paid by the library, but you will be responsible for return costs.
If a copy is available on the shelves, we will post you a copy the next working day. If material you have requested is out on loan, we will recall a copy for you and it will be posted to you as soon as it becomes available.
**If you place a hold on a book and do not select Home Delivery, we will assume that you will pick up that book in person from the library.
How long can I keep my books?
The standard loan period for most loan items is 56 days. However, the loan period may be reduced if the item is in heavy demand.
Are books subject to recall?
Yes. Books in heavy demand may be recalled early and you will be notified by email of the new due date. If recalled books are returned late, you will be fined. More information on our fines can be found on our Policies page.
Can I renew my books?
As long as your account is in good standing and no-one else is waiting to use them, books will be automatically renewed on the day before they’re due back. You will receive an email reminder to let you know how long you can keep them for.
Alternatively, you may log on to LibrarySearch, click on the arrow beside your name, go to ‘My Account’ and select the Renew option at any point during the loan period.