Frequently Asked Questions for Outgoing Work Exchange Students

What criteria must a work placement fulfil to be eligible for Erasmus funding?

To be eligible for funding, a work placement must fulfil the following criteria:

  • it must be of a minimum of 2 months duration
  • it must take place in one of the Erasmus participating countries (the other 27 EU Member States, Norway, Turkey, Liechtenstein, and Iceland)
  • your host company is not an EU institution or body, does not manage EU programmes and is not an embassy or consulate
  • it must be part of your degree at Robert Gordon University
  • students are eligible to receive a maximum of 12 months Erasmus funding during undergraduate studies.   Therefore, if you have received Erasmus funding before, you should check with the Erasmus Institutional Coordinator whether you are entitled to funding or not.

How do I find a work placement in Europe?

You should speak to the Placement Office/Placement Manager in your School. They will be able to provide advice on how to find a suitable placement.

ESN have also helped develop the Erasmus Intern Platform.

Is any funding available and, if so, how do I apply for it?

The Erasmus Programme is funded by the European Commission and provides a small grant to outgoing students. This grant is intended to help with any additional costs incurred with working in another country.

Full details on how to apply for Erasmus are available atApplication Forms - Outgoing Students

How much will the grant be?

The grant varies from year to year and from country to country.

The grant is based on the number of months you will be working abroad for.  In 2018/19, the maximum monthly grants are:

€450 per month for work placements in:  Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway and Sweden

€400 per month for work placements in:  Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey and FYR Macedonia

When will I get my grant?

Once you have been accepted as an Erasmus student, you will be sent documentation related to your work placement abroad. Your grant will be paid in pounds sterling, directly into your UK bank account, once you have returned certain items of documentation which will be sent to you prior to the start of your work placement.

What about accommodation?

This will depend on your host company, and on how your placement has been arranged. If your placement has been organised by one of our partner universities, you may be able to stay in student accommodation. Your host company will provide you with further information. You may have to look for accommodation yourself.  For students going to Europe, if there are any ESN Local Sections, they may be able to help you.

Spotahome housing service might also be a good starting point when looking for accommodation but this is not a recommendation. You can find more information below.

Spotahome Housing Service

Who should I contact for more information?

If you have any further questions, please email