Frequently Asked Questions for Outgoing Study Exchange Students

I don’t speak any other languages, can I still study abroad?

Yes, the majority of our partner institutions teach in English, so you do not need to know another language to study abroad.

How long do most students study abroad for?

Most students study abroad for one semester, however, some courses may offer the opportunity to study abroad for a whole year.

Are there any minimum or maximum durations for study abroad?

Only for students who wish to apply for Erasmus funding - to comply with the rules of Erasmus, a study abroad period must be between 3 and 12 months in duration.

Can I go to any university abroad?

No, you can only go to a university with which Robert Gordon University has a prior agreement. A list of these institutions is available at Partner Institutions - School by School

Will studying abroad add an extra year to my degree?

No, you will receive academic recognition for all work successfully undertaken during your study period abroad, although students from the School of Computing Science and Digital Media will have to switch to the 5 year degree in order to participate in study abroad.

Is there a limit on the amount of students who can go to one institution?

Yes, the University has agreed numbers of students which can be exchanged with all its partners. This means you may not be able to go to your first choice of university abroad.

Is any funding available and, if so, how do I apply for it?

A small amount of funding may be available for students going on study abroad to Europe under the Erasmus Programme which is funded by the European Commission. This grant is intended to help with any additional costs incurred with studying in another country, but is not intended to cover the full costs of study abroad.

Students going on exchange outwith Europe will have to cover the full costs of study abroad themselves.

Full details on how to apply for Erasmus are available atApplication Forms - Outgoing Students

How much will the grant be?

The grant varies from year to year and from country to country.

The grant is based on the number of months you will be studying abroad for.  In 2018/19, the maximum monthly grants are:

€350 per month for study periods to: Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Norway, Sweden

€300 per month for study periods to: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Turkey

When will I get my grant?

Once you have been accepted as an Erasmus student, you will be sent documentation related to your study period abroad. Your grant will be paid in pounds sterling, directly into your UK bank account, once you have returned certain items of documentation which will be posted to you before you leave.

Do I have to apply to the university I’m going to?

Yes, nearly all universities have their own application forms that have to be completed, and they have their own deadlines. Each of our partner institutions has its own dedicated webpage and these can be accessed via Partner Institutions - Country by Country

Information is also available on CampusMoodle under General Study Areas.

How do I find out about courses on offer at the university I’m going to?

Course information can usually be found on an institution's Erasmus pages Where Can I Go?

If you cannot find course information online, you should ask your International Exchange Co-ordinator

What about accommodation?

All our partner institutions are obliged to assist students in finding accommodation - this can range from arranging accommodation in student residences to simply providing you with a list of accommodation providers. You will be expected to arrange your accommodation yourself.  For students going to Europe, if there is a ESN Local Sections, they may be able to help you. 

Spotahome housing service might also be a good starting point when looking for accommodation but this is not a recommendation. Find more information:

Spotahome Housing Service

Will I have to pay tuition fees to my host university?

The vast majority of our exchange partners operate on a fee waiver basis. This means that you continue to pay tuition towards RGU (whether through SAAS or by other means) but do not pay any tuition fees towards your exchange institution. The only exceptions to this are Boston University and Southern Utah University in the US, where you are expected to pay tuition fees.

How much does studying abroad cost?

Unfortunately, we cannot give a specific answer to this as it will largely depend on where you go and your general lifestyle/spending habits. Students will be asked for a budget when they apply to study abroad to demonstrate that they have realistic expectations going into the process. We recommend that students do research into how much they expect to spend on accommodation, travel and general living expenses.


If you currently receive a student loan or bursary, you should still receive this while abroad but please check with the relevant funding authority.

How do I apply to study abroad?

Apply by filling in an application form.

How many credits do I have to take?

The below credits are equivalent to a standard semester at Robert Gordon University/60 Scottish Credits. Students are required to take the following amount of credits at their host institution to receive full credit back at RGU:

  • Europe – 30 ECTS
  • USA – 12 credit hours
  • Canada – 12 credit hours (2.0 at Carleton)
  • South Korea – 15 credits
  • Singapore – 15 credits
  • Malaysia – 16 credits
  • Australia – 100 credits