Incoming students with a non-EU/EEA passport may require a visa to study or work in the UK. It is the student's responsibility to apply and pay for the relevant visa.

Please note that the UK Visa process can be lengthy, and you should allow ample time for your application to be processed.

Students with an EU/EEA Passport

If you have an EU or EEA passport then you do not require a visa to travel and study in the UK. However we do recommend that your current passport is valid for the duration of your exchange period.

Check if you need a UK Visa

Students with a Non-EU/EEA Passport

If you do not hold an EU or EEA Passport then it is likely that you will require a visa to study or work in the UK.

It is important that you check which kind of visa you should apply for as this can vary depending on the type and duration of your course. The requirements also vary extensively depending on the type of visa you apply for. The UK Government Visa and Immigration Office (UKVI) have an online checking service which allows you to confirm whether you need  a visa for the UK and which type of visa you should apply for.

Check if you need a UK Visa
It is also important you leave sufficient time to complete this process as applying for a visa for the UK can take several weeks.

If you have any questions about your visa requirements for the UK please contact our immigration team at

Further Information

How to apply and which visas are required to enter the UK:

UK Government Visa and Immigration - Student Visas


The purpose of this webpage is to assist students in finding information about what steps need to be taken to apply for a visa to allow them to study or work in the UK and is for general information purposes only.

The information is provided by third parties not connected with Robert Gordon University and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability of the webpage or the information, products or services on the webpage for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will Robert Gordon University be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this webpage.

Through this webpage you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Robert Gordon University. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.

  • Visa Information

    International Students outside FoHSC SIWB

    We are able to welcome international students from all over the world to study on our campus. Find out how the Student Immigration Team can help you with your visa application.