Other sources of funding include discretionary funds, the Childcare fund, Emergency Loans, professional and career development loans.

Discretionary Fund

The Discretionary Fund is available to assist students in financial difficulty to continue their studies.

Assistance cannot be given for the payment of tuition fees but other course related costs, accommodation, travel, living costs, etc can be considered. Before applying to the fund, students must have taken out their full student loan entitlement. All “home” UK students, undergraduate and postgraduate, full-time and part time, are eligible to apply.

Application Forms are available from the Student Help Point in the Health & Social Care building.

Completed Application forms should be returned to the Student Help Point. Please ensure you return all documentary evidence to support your application and a completed Referee's Report to prevent any delay in processing your application. 

Further information - Email Financial Assistance

Fully Funded Places

Robert Gordon University is pleased to announce a limited number of full-time MSc places, where the tuition fees are funded by the Scottish Funding Council (SFC), for Scottish/EU applicants, for courses starting September 2018.

Places are available to eligible students across a number of taught postgraduate programmes. 

To be eligible, applicants must have either been assessed or considered in relation to Fee Status as either a Scottish or EU fee payer.

Places will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis to suitable candidates. Further conditions with regard to offer and acceptance of SFC funding will be detailed in your funding letter.

We also have free places funded by The Datalabwhich aims to develop the data science talent and skills required by industry in Scotland.  Eligibility is the same as for the SFC funded places.

To find out more, contact pgoffice@rgu.ac.uk

Childcare Fund

The Childcare Fund is available to help towards the cost of registered or formal childcare – formal childcare includes childminders, after school clubs, day care, sitter services and providers of pre-school and education.

Students must be full-time “home” UK students on an undergraduate course.

Eligible postgraduate coursesBefore applying to the fund, students must first have taken out their full entitlement to a student loan.

Students who are not eligible for the payment of their tuition fees are not eligible. However consideration for assistance with childcare costs can be considered from the Discretionary Fund.

Please note, EU students, students studying Nursing and Midwifery courses and part-time students are not eligible for assistance from this fund.  

Awards are discretionary and are based on personal and financial circumstances. Not all students who are eligible to apply for support from this fund will be assisted. Students who are successful will have their award paid in monthly instalments by BACS directly to the Childcare Provider throughout the academic year. Payments made are additional to any loan entitlement and students must apply for their full loan entitlement before assistance is given from the fund.

Application forms can be downloaded and once completed returned to the Student Help Point alternatively a paper copy is available from the Student Help Point in the Health & Social Care building.

Guidance Notes for Discretionary Fund Application Form (PDF 94KB)

Discretionary Fund / Childcare Fund Application Form (PDF 196KB)

Referee's Report (PDF 74KB)

Students from England, Wales and N Ireland are eligible to apply for childcare grants. Details can be obtained from the appropriate student finance website.  Students who are eligible for this support are not eligible to apply for assistance from the Childcare Fund.

Students from England
Students from Wales 
Students from Northern Ireland

Tax credits

Students and their families could receive more money through the tax credits.   Students with children are entitled to claim Child Tax Credit which the Inland Revenue will pay to those who are responsible for at least one child, whether or not they are in paid work. Students who work more than 16 hours a week could also be eligible for Working Tax Credit. Extra help is also available to those who have a disability or who are caring for children with a disability.

Further information on tax credits:

HM Revenue & Customs website   Helpline: 0345 300 3900.

Short Term Emergency Loans

You can apply to the University for an Emergency Loan if you suddenly find yourself in financial difficulty.

As these funds are extremely limited, the maximum loan that can be made is capped at £600.

Short-term emergency loans are available on a discretionary basis to assist students with an immediate financial crisis.

Short-term emergency loans are not grants and must be repaid nor are they a solution to long term underfunding or cash-flow problems.

You should familiarise yourself with the following terms and conditions before applying for an emergency loan:

  • Emergency loans are only issued to students registered on a Full Time Course
  • Emergency loans are only issued for essential maintenance costs such as food; travel to and from University, essential medical costs and essential consumables/toiletries.
  • Emergency loans will not be issued to fund tuition fees, library fines or any other fines which could have been avoided.
  • If you are in the final year of your course you are not eligible to apply for an emergency loan after your course end date regardless of graduation date.
  • Additional information may be requested to support your application.

Application Process

You can apply for a short-term emergency loan by attending a drop in session at the Student HelpPoint in Garthdee on a Monday and Thursday from 9.30am – 2.00pm, or contacting Student Finance outwith these times.


Short-term emergency loans are interest free. A repayment date will be agreed during the meeting, taking into account when future income is expected. It may be possible to set up a repayment plan.

Students who fail to repay an emergency loan may:

  • experience registration delays
  • be refused future loans
  • be referred to the University's External Debt Collection Agency to recover the outstanding sum and this may adversely affect your credit rating. You will also be liable for any additional recovery costs.

The Sutherland Page Trust

Open to full time students who have successfully completed the first year of their course.

Eligible courses include Medicine, Law, Arts, Divinity or Science. Only students who were born in Scotland, or who have at least one parent born in Scotland, or who have been resident in Scotland for at least three continuous years prior to entry to a Scottish university are eligible to apply. Applications are normally available early October with a closing date in November and can be obtained from the Student Help Point

Further details from Student Finance.

Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust

The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust offer bursaries to students who have an immediate family member who is/was a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer.

Funds are for maintenance, tuition fees, travel, study materials, accommodation, childcare costs, etc.

Find out more about the Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust

Professional and career development loans

Professional and Career Development Loans are deferred repayment bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or help get you into work.

Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying.

Further details about Career Development Loans

Contact Details - Student Finance

Phone numbers, email addresses and website for financial support questions and enquiries.

Student Finance, Course fee enquiries

Financial support enquiries

Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)

Students from England

Students from N Ireland

Students from Wales

  • Student Finance Wales
  • Tel. 0300 200 4050

Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding - find out more