|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262596|
Roles and responsibilities
- Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences.
- Researcher at the Institute for Health and Wellbeing Research (IHWR)
- Module Coordinator
Key research interests
Dr Hector's research interests lie in improving the understanding of the pathogeneses underlying cardiovascular disease, diabetes and the genetic disease cystinosis, with particular reference to the effects of these diseases on the vasculature.
- Vascular Disease
Dr Hectors research is directed towards improving the understanding of the pathogeneses underlying cardiovascular disease, diabetes and the genetic disease cystinosis, with particular reference to the effects of these diseases on the vasculature. She is a member of the Cystinosis Research Group within the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, and is involved in the study of novel pro-drug formulations for the treatment of cystinosis.
Dr Hector is currently researching into the effects of cystinosis on the vasculature. Using cell and animal models of the disease, her research aim is to achieve a better understanding of cystinosis on the vasculature, while assessing the potential role that novel pro-drugs may play in treatment and prevention.
Dr Hector is a lecturer in Biomedical Sciences at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences. She contributes to modules in Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Advances in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bioterapeutics and Research methods
- Knott RM, Hector E, Zampoulis V. Cotter M, Cameron NE, Fordyce I and Steel L (2002). Diabetes-induced expression of hypoxia inducible factor Type 1-alpha in the sciatic nerve, Diabetic Medicine, 19(Suppl.2), p234.
- R M Knott, E Hector, M Cotter, N E Cameron, I Fordyce, S Ferguson and D Moir (2003). Alpha lipoic acid reduces expression of hypoxia inducible factor type 1 alpha in the sciatic nerve of streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Diabetologia, A401, p117.
- R Knott, E Hector and D Moir (2006). High glucose concentration enhances the stability of hypoxia inducible factor type 1 alpha mRNA in human endothelial cells. Diabetic Medicine, 23 (Suppl. 4)
- R.M. Knott, E Hector, B. McCaughan, G. Kay, and D. Cairns (2008). Lysosomal depletion of cysteine in cystinotic fibroblasts with novel prodrug. Proceedings to the Cystinosis Research Network Family Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
- EE Hector, SP Robins, J Brittenden & CL Wainwright (2007). Collagen cross-link measurement as an indicator of human carotid artery atherosclerotic plaque vulnerability. LifeSciences 2007, Glasgow.
- EE Hector, SP Robins, DK Mercer, J Brittenden and CL Wainwright. Quantitative measurement of mature collagen cross links in human carotid artery plaques.
Manuscript submitted to Atherosclerosis.