|Position:||Academic Strategic Lead (Teaching & Learning)|
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262384|
- BSc Geology and Petroleum Geology
- MA Higher Education Learning and Teaching
- PhD – Mental Health of Engineers – Ongoing
I am the Academic Strategic Lead for Teaching, Learning, and Enhancement. I have responsibility for the Academic Team Lead (Teaching and Learning) , the Engineering Services Manager, and academic colleagues. I've been a part of the School of Engineering team since 2003 when the School began delivering distance learning MSc courses in Energy related subjects. I began as an external distance learning lecturer for modules in Reservoir Geology, Petroleum Geology and Fluids and Formation Evaluation. Prior to this I was a geologist in Innovative Engineering Systems Ltd and Core-Laboratories. After working at University of Portsmouth, I joined RGU full-time, taking the lead in distance learning and pastoral care of distance learning students in 2009. I completed my MA in Higher Education Learning and Teaching, with my thesis entitled "Retention of Postgraduate Distance Learning Students". In 2013, I was appointed Learning Enhancement Coordinator for the School. I developed the Engineering Continuing Professional Development Framework (MSc Engineering) and led the development of the engineering Graduate Apprenticeships. In 2016 I became a Senior Lecturer focussing on teaching and learning enhancement and in 2017 was appointed in my current role.
I am currently a PhD candidate in the School of Health Sciences, researching mental wellbeing in engineering students. Supervisor Dr. L. Alexander.
- Geologist with Core-Laboratories
- Geologist with Innovative Engineering Systems Ltd
- North Africa Consultancy Group Coordinator with Corex UK Ltd
- Research Assistant Aberdeen University
- Research Assistant University of Portsmouth
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Line manager of the Academic Team Lead (Teaching and Learning)
- Line manager of the Engineering Services Manager
- Enhancement projects
- School Appraisal
- Course Validations
- Teaching geology, geoscience, petroleum geology
- Engineering Education Research
Research and Consultancy Interests
- Mental Health and Wellbeing in Engineering
- Engineering pedagogy
- Virtual worlds for learning
- Enhancement of teaching and learning
- Geology, Geoscience and Petroleum Geology
- Engineering Education
- Mental Wellbeing in Engineering
Professional Body Membership
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Panel member/convener in course validation and subject review processes
- Member of Academic Council
- Member of Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee
- Member of Equity and Diversity Sub Committee
- Contributes to QAA Enhancement Themes as part of University projects
- Reviewed for the Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, and the Women’s Studies International Forum
- Reviewed for the Engineering Education Research Network Symposia
- FHEA and SFHEA Reviewer for DELTA
- Aurora Women in Leadership mentor.
- Co-Founder of Immersive EdTech company Neosome Ltd
- Tait, J. Churn, P. Droubi, G. Zhao, Y. (2019). Development of Scottish Engineering Graduate Apprenticeships: Concept-Validation-Launch. In M. Malik, J. Andrews, R. Clark, R. Penlington & R Broadbent (Eds.), Realising Ambitions: 6th Annual Symposium of the UK&I EERN 2018 (pp. 194-204). Portsmouth, University of Portsmouth. https://hefocus.raeng.org.uk/network-events/
- Tait, J-A, Hetherington, C & Tate, A 2017, 'The Virtual Oil Rig - Simulation-based Immersive Training', Virtual Education Journal, vol. Spring, pp. 32-36. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9fe3/30f1bcbcb2ef7116b3bdec2344ef3b367fa0.pdf
- Tait, J. (2017) Developing the Professional Engineering Framework for Postgraduate Engineers, Poster Presentation, 3rd International Enhancement in Higher Education Conference: Inspiring Excellence - Transforming the Student Experience, 6th-8th June 2017, Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, UK. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, UK.
- Tait, J., Hetherington, C. and Tate, A. (2017) Enhancing Student Employability with Simulation: The Virtual Oil Rig and DART, Poster Presentation, 3rd International Enhancement in Higher Education Conference: Inspiring Excellence - Transforming the Student Experience, 6th-8th June 2017, Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, UK. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education, UK.
- Murison, G. Tait, J. 2016 Poster Presentation: Engineering Snapshot: EN1600 Professional Skills RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2016 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Hetherington, C. Tait, J. 2015 Poster presentation: The RGU Virtual Rig. RGU’s Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Faisal, N. Kidd, G. McConnachie, J. Maxwell, G, Steel, JA. Tait, J. 2015 Poster presentation: RGU’s Engineering Fast-Track Meng Summer Placements RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Hausler, T. Tait, J. Wyatt, A. 2015 Poster presentation: Posters vs Reports – Trialling a New Assessment Format RGU Learning and Teaching Conference, 2015 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Sun, Y. Tait, J. 2014 Poster Presentation: Providing Scaffolding for Online Forum Assessment: Overcoming None or Overwhelming Criteria. RGU Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Tait, J & Sun, Y. 2014 “Would Online Live Induction be Helpful for Distance Learning Programmes in the School of Engineering, RGU?” RGU Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Tait, J & Sun, Y. 2014. "Providing Online ‘Live’ Support for Distance Learning Students: A Case Study in School of Engineering, RGU” RGU 1st Learning and Teaching Conference 2014 Aberdeen, Scotland.
McCafferty, J. "Retention of Postgraduate Distance Learning Students", Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland, August 2010.