|Position:||Senior Lecturer (Enterprise Fellow)|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262631|
Dr Steve Smith is a Senior Lecturer (Enterprise Fellow) in Mental Health and Wellbeing. He completed his PhD as a part-time student in 2015. His research focuses on the impact of training in Solution Focused Brief Therapy on the professional and cultural identity of nurses. His interests include the relationships within Communication, Language and Thinking, Philosophical Hermeneutics, the role of the mental health worker in primary and secondary care, and mindfulness based health and wellbeing.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Psychotherapeutic interactions in nursing and related disciplines
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Mindfulness based therapeutic approaches
- Research supervision
Steve has successfully secured funding from a number of external agencies to deliver training, coaching and support in Solution Focused Interactions and Mindfulness Based Stress Management in several centres around the Scottish mainland and islands. These have included:
- Eight week Mindfulness Based Stress Management programme (2016)
- Online Solution Focused Clinical Supervision (2013/15)
- Solution Focused Action Learning Sets (2013)
- Smith, S., 2015. “BECOMING: an analysis of narratives describing the experiences of nurses who have undertaken training in solution focused brief therapy.” [online]. PhD Thesis. Aberdeen: Robert Gordon University. Available from: http://hdl.handle.net/10059/1220
- Smith, S., 2014. Developing skills in solution focused therapy. In: S. Reading and B. Webster, eds. Achieving competencies for nursing practice: a handbook for student nurses. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Smith, S. and Kirkpatrick, P., 2013. Use of solution-focused brief therapy to enhance therapeutic communication in patients with COPD. Primary Healthcare, 23(10), pp. 27-32.
- Smith, S. and Buchanan, B., 2012. Engaging with the Scottish Government’s Agenda on Health and Social Care. InterAction: The journal of solution focus in organisations, 4(2), pp. 26-34.
- Smith, S., 2011. Research reviews (Review of current research papers). InterAction: The journal of solutions focus in organisations, 3(1), pp. 106-115.
- Smith, S., Adam, D., Kirkpatrick, P. and McRobie, G., 2011. Using solution-focused communication to support patients. Nursing Standard, 25(52), pp. 42-47.
- Smith, S., 2010. A preliminary analysis of narratives on the impact of training in solution-focused therapy expressed by students having completed a 6-month training course. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 17, pp. 105-110.
- Smith, S., 2014. Keynote presentation. On the importance of the future in solution focused interactions. Scottish Solution Focused Network Conference, Stratheden Hospital, Fife.
- Smith, S., 2013. Paper presentation. Solution focused interactions as a hermeneutic endeavour. Orienting Solutions 2013: Solution-focused, enactive and narrative practice research conference, University of Hertfordshire, London.
- Constable, M. and Smith, S., 2013. Poster presentation. Effectiveness of solution focused brief therapy as an intervention in real-world clinical practice”. Scottish Mental Health Nursing Research Conference, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
- Smith, S., 2012. Seminar presentation. Researching the practical translation of theory into practice with nurses trained in solution focused therapy. ENTER Conference, Stirling University, Stirling.