|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262252|
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching : Teaching UG & PG students, Project supervision
- Research: Supervision of PhD & MRes students, Research staff
- Development of research proposals and collaborations
- Laser Safety Supervisor for the university
- B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering
- M.Tech. in Optoelectronics & Laser Technology
- PhD. in Instrumentation
I have more than 20 years of applied research experience and my current research areas are:
- Biosensors and Instrumentation
- Environmental sensing and monitoring
- Clean Technology
Other research areas of interest include Optical materials & waveguides, Optical Imaging, Optical security, Subsea sensing, Optoelectronics, Microscopy, Spectroscopy, Lasers, Fluorescence Instrumentation, Lab-on-a-chips, Renewable Energy Systems
Current/recent research projects are:
- MRI compatible fibre optic based multifunctional probe for medical diagnostic applications
- Genesparks – A nanotechnology based biosensing platform
- Surface modification for biosensing applications
- A novel hybrid sensor system for environmental monitoring applications
- Wastewater Reactor development
- Study of microparticle dynamics in water treatment systems
Recent national or international conference organisation
Conference Chair, SPIE conference on "Counterterrorism, Crime Fighting, Forensics and Surveillance Technologies" as part of the SPIE symposium on Security and Defence being organized in Berlin (Germany) during 10 – 13 September, 2018.
Technical Chair and Member of the Organising committee for IEEE OCEANS 17 conference at AECC, Aberdeen, June 2017
Technical Chair and Member of the Organising committee – 3D-TV conference at AECC, Aberdeen 8-9 Oct. 2013
Conference Session chair at 3D-TV conference at AECC, Aberdeen 8-9 Oct. 2013
Recent national or international conference presentations
Keynote speechesat conferences
Large Size Free-Standing ZnO Nanowire Films for Multifunctional Applications, ICMST16, 5-8th June, 2016,Pala, India.
Structural and Non Linear Optical Property of BaSnO3 Nanopowder, Nanostruc16, 12-15th Sept. 2016,Aberdeen, UK.
'A non-labelled biosensing system for simultaneous multi-parameter detection based on Surface Plasmon Resonance imaging', at the First International Conference on Advanced Materials, Science and Engineering, (ICAMSE '12), Colombo, Sri Lanka, July 1-4,2012.
'Photonic efficiency enhancement through periodic illumination of TiO2 nanopowder based photocatalytic reactor', at the International Conference on Materials Science and Technology (ICMST 2012), Pala, India, June 10-14, 2012
Optical fibre sensing for subsea applications, SUBSEA 2012, AECC Aberdeen, 8-9 February 2012
- Scottish funding council
- Commonwealth professional fellowship
- EPSRC IGTN
- Petroleum Technology Development Fund
- Scottish Enterprise
- NCR Financial Solutions Group Ltd.
- NSA Ltd.
- R&T Global Services Ltd.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Chartered Engineer (EC-IET)
- Member of Institute of Physics(IOP)
- Member of The Institution of engineering & Technology (IET)
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Pollard, P. M., Officer, S., Hunter, C., Prabhu G, R. Analytical Composition and Method, European patent, EP1831698, 2009
- Ross, G. A., Pollard, P., Hunter, C., Officer, S., Prabhu G. R 'Optically detectable security feature' US patent, 7129506, 2006
- P. Pollard, G. R. Prabhu, S. Officer, C. Hunter and G. Ross European patent no.GBA 0314883, 2004–' Security labelling'
- P. Pollard, S. Officer, C. Hunter, G. R. Prabhu and T. Wilson, US Patent application no:11/793848 'Analytical Compositions and Methods (lanthanidetaggant)', 2008
- 'UV LED sources for heterogeneous photocatalysis', Oluwatosin Tokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda A. Lawton and Peter K. J. Robertson. Book chapter, Environmental Photochemistry Part III, D. Bahnemann and P. Robertson (eds.), Hdb Env Chem, DOI 10.1007/698_2014_306, © Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014 Springer-Verlag
- 'Environmental forensic investigations: The potential use of novel heavy metal sensor and novel taggants.' Pollard, P., Adams, M., Robertson, P, Cristidis, K., Officer, S., Prabhu G R., Gow K. & Morrison, A. in Criminal and Environmental Soil Forensics. Editors: Ritz, Dawson and Miller, 2008
Journals (since 2012)
- Effect of electron beam irradiation on the structural and optical properties Cu doped In2O3 films prepared by RF magnetron sputtering, R. Reshmi Krishnan, Ganesh Sanjeev, Radhakrishna Prabhu and V P M Pillai, 2018, JOM, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-018-2776-5
- Numerical investigation of nanostructured silica PCFs for sensing applications, Jincy Johny, Radhakrishna Prabhu and Wai Keung Fung, JOM, (2017), 1-6, doi:10.1007/s11837-017-2366-y.
- Effect of RF power on the structural and optical properties of zinc sulfide films, S. R. Chalana, S. Sankararaman, Radhakrishna Prabhu, and V P Mahadevan Pillai, JOM, 2017, 69(11), 2264–2271.
- A photocatalytic impeller reactor for gas phase heterogeneous photocatalysis. Tokode, O., Prabhu, R., Lawton, L.A. and Robertson, P.K.J., Journal of environmental chemical engineering, 2017, 5(4), 3942-3948., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2017.07.068.
- Study on the Structural, Morphological and Optical Properties of RF Sputtered Dysprosium Doped Barium Tungstate Thin Films, Hridya.S, Kavitha V.S, Chalana S.R, Reshmi Krishnan R, Sreeja Sreedharan R, S. Suresh, V.P.N.Nampoori, S. Sankararaman, Radhakrishna Prabhu and V.P. Mahadevan Pillai, JOM, 2017, 69(11), pp:2272-77, doi:10.1007/s11837-017-2360-4.
- Extending the Capability of Forensic Electrochemistry to the Novel Psychoactive Substance Benzylpiperazine, S. Waddell, C. Inverarity, C. Fernandez, R. Prabhu, Sensing and Bio-Sensing Research, V13, 2017, P 28–39, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbsr.2016.12.001
- Synthesis, structural and morphological property of BaSnO3 nanopowder prepared by solid state ceramic method, Jibi John, VP Mahadevan Pillai, Anitta Rose Thomas, Reji Philip, Jaison Joseph, S Muthunatesan, V Ragavendran, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Journal IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 2017/5,195(1) pp:012007, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/195/1/012007
- Investigation of structural parameter dependence of confinement losses in PCF-FBG sensor for oil and gas sensing applications, Johny, R. Prabhu, W.K Fung, Jl of Optical and Quantum Electronics (2016) 48:252, doi:10.1007/s11082-016-0528-8
- Controlled periodic illumination in semiconductor photocatalysis, Oluwatosin Tokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda Lawton, Peter K.J. Robertson, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry(2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2015.12.002
- A fiber optic biosensor for the detection of cholesterol levels based on chitosan coated long period grating, C. Bobby Mathews , T. M. Libish , B. Kaushalkumar , V. Vivek , Radhakrishna Prabhu & P. Radhakrishnan, Optoelectronics Letters 12(1):23-26 , January 2016, doi:10.1007/s11801-016-5229-9
- Solvent effects on lasing characteristics for Rh B laser dye, Jaison Peter, Mahesh Kumar, V. R. Ananad, Rasool Saleem, Ananthu Sebastian, P. Radhakrishnan, V. P. N. Nampoori, C. P. G. Vallabhan, Radhakrishna Prabhu, and M. Kailasnath, Journal of Luminescence, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2015.09.002
- Influence of Pr doping on the structural, morphological, optical, luminescent and nonlinear optical properties of RF sputtered ZnO films, R. Sreeja Sreedharan, R.Vinod Kumar, I. Navas, Radhakrishna Prabhu, and V.P. Mahadevan Pillai, Journal of materials (2015) doi:10.1007/s11837-015-1632-0
- Photocatalytic degradation of eleven microcystin variants and nodularin by TiO2 coated glass microspheres, Pestana, C. J., Edwards, C., Prabhu, R., Robertson, P. K. J. and Lawton, L. A., Journal of Hazardous Materials, V300, 30 December 2015, Pages 347–353.
- LED controlled tuning of ZnO nanowires wettability for biosensing applications, Bhavsar K, Ross D, Prabhu R and Pollard P, Nano Rev. 2015; 6: 10.3402/nano.v6.26711.
- Development of a novel electrochemical sensor for the rapid detection of lanthanides in environmental samples on Gold Electrode, Laura Cruickshank, Simon Officer, Pat Pollard, Radhakrishna Prabhu and Carlos Fernandez, Analytical Sciences 01/2015; 31(7):623-7.
- Angular dependent light emission from planar waveguides, Jaison Peter, Radhakrishna Prabhu, P. Radhakrishnan, C. P. G. Vallabhan,V. P. N. Nampoori and M. Kailasnath, J. Appl. Phys. 117/1, 015301 (2015).
- Highly textured and transparent RF sputtered Eu2O3 doped ZnO films, R. Sreeja Sreedharan, V. Ganasan, C. Sudarsanakumar, Kaushal Bhavsar, Radhakrishna Prabhu and V.P. Mahadevan Pillai, Nano Reviews 2015, 6: 26759 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/nano.v6.26759.
- Graphene modified electrochemical sensor for Aspirin detection, Senee Kruanetr, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Pat Pollard and Carlos Fernandez, Surface Engineering and Applied Electrochemistry, No. 3, 2015.
- Mathematical modelling of quantum yield enhancements of methyl orange photooxidation in aqueous TiO2 suspensions under controlled periodic UV LED illumination, Oluwatosin Tokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda A Lawton and Peter K. J. Robertson., Applied Catalysis B. Environmental, 01/2014; s 156–157:398–403.
- The effect of pH on the photonic ef?ciency of the destruction of methy lorange under controlled periodic illumination with UV-LED sources, Oluwatosin Tokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda A Lawton and Peter K. J. Robertson., Chemical Engineering Journal, 1/2014; 246:337–342.
- Electrochemical Oxidation of Acetyl Salicylic Acid and its voltammetric sensing in real samples at a sensitive edge plane Pyrolytic Graphite Electrode modified with Graphene, Senee Kruanetr, Pat Pollard, Carlos Fernandez, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 9 (2014) 5699 – 5711
- Effect of controlled periodic-based illumination on the photonic efficiency of photocatalytic degradation of methyl orange, O.I. Tokode, R. Prabhu, L. A. Lawton, P. Robertson, Journal of Catalysis, V290, 2012, P138-142.
Conferences/symposia/workshops (since 2012)
- Banknote authentication using chaotic elements technology, Sajan A, Krishnendu P.S., V.P.M. Pillai, R. Prabhu, SPIE Security + Defence 2017, 11 - 14 September 2017, Warsaw, Poland, https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2278343
- Design optimization of Cassegrain telescope for remote explosive trace detection, K. Bhavsar, E. Esseler, R. Prabhu, SPIE Security + Defence 2017, 11 - 14 September 2017, Warsaw, Poland, https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2277932
- Integrated self-healing system for the composite offshore structures, K. Pancholi, V. Jha, R. Prabhu, N. Dodds& J. Latto, IEEE OCEANS'17conference, 19-22 June 2017, Aberdeen, 10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8084828
- Design of a Smart Security Registration Plate (SSRP) for Seagoing Motorized Non-Mechanical Crafts, SajanAmbadiyil, Soumya Jose, V. P. Mahadevan Pillai, Radhakrishna Prabhu, IEEEOCEANS'17 conference, 19-22 June 2017, Aberdeen, 10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8084868
- Design of optical fibre based highly sensitive acoustic sensor for underwater applications, Jincy Johny,Thomas Smith and Radhakrishna Prabhu, IEEE OCEANS'17 conference, 19-22 June 2017, Aberdeen,10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8084974
- Theoretical investigation of positional influence of FBG sensors for structural health monitoring of offshore structures, Jincy Johny, Jade summers and Radhakrishna Prabhu, IEEEOCEANS'17 conference, 19-22 June 2017, Aberdeen, 10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8084976
- Fibre Optic Sensor to Detect Heavy Metal Pollutants in Water Environments, Kaushal, Ginson, R. Prabhu, IEEEOCEANS'17 conference, 19-22 June 2017, Aberdeen, 10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8084982
- Energy efficient operation of photocatalytic reactors based on UV LEDs for pollution remediation in water,Fiona, Gergana, Meenakshi, R. Prabhu, IEEE OCEANS'17 conference, 19-22 June2017, Aberdeen, 10.1109/OCEANSE.2017.8085011
- Design of a Multiplex Optical Sensing System for Subsea Underwater Applications, Solomon Amos, J. Njuguna, R.Prabhu, IEEE OCEANS'17 conference, 19-22June 2017, Aberdeen
- Controlling the wettability ofnano/micro-textured ZnO thin films to enhance the proliferation rate for cellculture and tissue engineering, K Bhavsar, D Ross, M H Nandakrishnan and RPrabhu, Interdisciplinary Surface Science Conference (ISSC-21), 10-13 April,2017, Manchester.
- Sensitivity analysis of graphene coated SPR sensor for glucose concentration monitoring, K Bhavsar, G PJoseph and R Prabhu, ISSC-21, 10-13 April, 2017, Manchester.
- Olmesartan as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel: Experimental and Theoretical methods, B. M. Praveen B.M. Prasanna, Narayana Hebbar, R Prabhu & K Bhavsar, Ninth Scottish Symposiumon Environmental Analytical Chemistry, 14 December 2016, Dundee, UK.
- MRI compatible optical fibre sensors, K. Bhavsar, J. Johny, R. Prabhu, EPSRC workshop on Imaged guided therapy, 9th Nov. 2016, Edinburgh,UK.
- Holographic interferometry for security and forensic applications, Sajan Ambadiyil, Sreelekshmi.R.C,V.P.Mahadevan Pillai and RadhakrishnaPrabhu, SPIE-Security + Defence, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 26 - 29 September2016.
- Study of Nanostructured Composite Materials for Photonic Crystal Fibre Sensors. J. Johny, R. Prabhu, W.KFung, Nanostruc16, 12-15th Sept. 2016, Aberdeen, UK. IOP Conf. Series:Materials Science and Engineering 195 (2017) 012012doi:10.1088/1757-899X/195/1/012012.
- Synthesis, Structural and Morphological Property of BaSnO3 Nanopowder Prepared by Solid State CeramicMethod, J. John, V.P.M. Pillai, A.R. Thomas, R. Philip, J. Joseph, S.Muthunatesan, V. Ragavendran and R. Prabhu, Nanostruc16, 12-15, Sept. 2016,Aberdeen, UK, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 195 (2017)012007 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/195/1/012007.
- Preliminary investigations on materials/metal structures using laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS)for underwater structural health monitoring, B C Mathews, K Bhavsar, T Thevar, P Radhakrishnan and R Prabhu, ICMST16, 5-8th June, 2016, Pala, India.
- Large Size Free-Standing ZnO Nanowire Films for Multifunctional Applications, Kaushalkumar Bhavsar and Radhakrishna Prabhu, ICMST16, 5-8th June, 2016, Pala, India.
- Blended learning approach: Acase study in Indian context, R. Prabhu & P. Radhakrishnan, 3rd AnnualConference on Teaching and Learning, Aberdeen, UK, May 4th, 2016.
- Investigation of Positioning of FBG Sensors for Smart Monitoring of Oil and Gas Subsea Structures, J. Johny,R. Prabhu, W. K. Fung, J. Watson, OCEANS'16, Shanghai, April 10-13, 2016.
- S. Udoh, J. Njuguna and R.Prabhu, B. Chirappuram and P. Radhakrishnan, Preliminary Investigation of Temperature and Pressure Measurement Systemfor Down-hole Monitoring of Oil Wells Using FBG/EFPI Sensing Technique, Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition, Lagos, Nigeria, 4–6 August2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.2118/178318-MS.
- Development of U-bend OpticalProbe to Detect Heavy Metal Ions, K Bhavsar, E Hourston, B Mathews, PRadhakrishnan and R Prabhu, Bluephotonics conference, Barcelona, May 2015.
- Effect of wavelength and graphene layers on the SPR sensitivity, K. Bhavsar and R. Prabhu, OWTNM2015,17-18 April 2015 , City University London
- Investigation of Confinement Losses in Photonic Crystal Fibre, J. Johny, R. Prabhu, W.K Fung, OWTNM 2015,17-18 April 2015 , City University London
- Ultrasensitive graphene coated SPR sensor for biosensing applications," Kaushal Bhavsar, Radhakrishna Prabhu& Pat Pollard, SPIE Optics + Optoelectronics, 13 - 16 April 2015 in Prague, Czech Republic
- Microstructure encryption anddecryption techniques in optical variable and invariable devices in printed documents for security and forensic applications, Sajan Ambadiyil,K.G.Jayan, Radhakrishna Prabhu andV.P.Mahadevan Pillai, SPIE Optics + Optoelectronics, 13 - 16 April 2015 inPrague, Czech Republic
- Theoretical Analysis of Temperature and Pressure Measurement System Based on Multiplexed FBG/EFPI ForDownhole Monitoring of Oil and Gas Wells, Solomon UDOH and Radhakrishna Prabhu,Annual Photonics Workshop, CUSAT, Cochin, 26-28 Feb. 2015
- Exploring Reversible Covalent Bonding of Boronic Acid For Glucose sensing, Vivek Viswambaran, RadhakrishnaPrabhu, Simon Officer & Nakkeeran Kaliyaperumal, Annual Photonics Workshop,Cochin, 26-28 Feb. 2015
- Solvent effects on lasing characteristics for Rh B laser dye, Rasool Saleem, Ananthu Sebastian, JaisonPeter, P. Radhakrishnan, Radhakrishna Prabhu and M. Kailasnath, Photoincs 14,Calcutta, 13-16 Dec. 2014
- Rheological behaviour of single-phase non-Newtonian polymer solution in complex pore geometry: asimulation approach. Idahosa, P., Oluyemi, G., Prabhu, R. and Oyeneyin, B., InProceedings of the 2014 COMSOL conference, 17-19 September 2014, Cambridge, UK.Burlington
- U-bend based fibre optic evanescent wave sensor to detect copper ions using dithizone dye, K Bhavsar, BMathews, R Prabhu, P Pollard, P Radhakrishnan, IOP conference Photon 14,London, Sept. 2014.
- Highly transparent and luminescent WO3 doped In2O3 nanostructured thin films for optoelectronic applications R. Reshmi Krishnan, R. Sreeja Sreedharan, S. R. Chalana, R. Jolly Bose, S. K.Sudheer, Radhakrishna Prabhu and V. P. Mahadevan Pillai, IOP conference Photon14, London, Sept. 2014.
- Characteristics of the cutoff and guided modes in planar waveguides, Jaison Peter, Radhakrishna Prabhu, P.Radhakrishnan, C. P. G. Vallabhan and M. Kailasnath, IOP conference Photon 14,London, Sept. 2014
- ZnO nanowire surface wetting property investigations for biomedical applications, Kaushalkumar Bhavsar,Radhakrishna Prabhu and Pat Pollard, NRP Symposium, Aberdeen, 28 May 2014
- Analysis of evanescent field enhancement through microstructuring of optical fibre for glucose sensing applications, Vivek Viswambaran, Nakkeeran Kaliyaperumal, Simon Officer andRadhakrishna Prabhu, NRP Symposium, 28 May 2014, Aberdeen
- Investigations on surface wettability of ZnO nanowires using UVLEDs for biosensing applications, Kaushalkumar Bhavsar, Radhakrishna Prabhu and Pat Pollard, NANOSTRUC2014 - International Conference on Structural Nano Composites, 20-21 May 2014,Madrid, Spain.
- Highly Transparent and Luminescent Nanostructured Eu2O3 Doped ZnO films, R. Sreeja Sreedharan, V.Ganasan, C. Sudarsanakumar, Radhakrishna Prabhu and V.P. Mahadevan Pillai,NANOSTRUC 2014 - International Conference on Structural Nano Composites, 20-21May 2014, Madrid, Spain.
- Modelling and Simulation of Fibre Bragg Grating Characterization for Oil and Gas Sensing Applications, Solomon Amos, James Njuguna, R Prabhu, 1st International Conference on Systems Informatics: Modelling and Simulation, SIMS2014, Sheffield, United Kingdom, 29April – 1 May 2014.
- ZnO nanowire hydrophobic-hydrophillic switch using UV light LEDs, Kaushalkumar Bhavsar,Radhakrishna Prabhu and Pat Pollard, ICAFM 2014, Feb 19-21,Thiruvananthapuram,India
- Development of dithizone based fibre optic evanescent wave sensor for heavy metal ion detection in aqueous environments, K Bhavsar, R Prabhu and P Pollard, Sensors and their applicationsXVIII, 16-18 September 2013, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Optical Fibre based Heavy Metal Sensor for Monitoring crude oil contaminated wastewater, Kaushal Bhavsar,Radhakrishna Prabhu & Pat Pollard, Optoelectronic Technologies for the Oiland Gas Industry Technical Meeting, Aberdeen on Thursday, 6 June 2013
- Effects of pH on Photonic Efficiency of TiO2 Photocatalysis under periodic UV-LED Illumination, OluTokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda Lawton, Peter K.J. Robertson, 4thInternational Conference on Semiconductor Photochemistry (SP4), Prague, CzechRepublic from June 23rd to 27th, 2013.
- Optical Fibre based Mercury Sensor for Environmental Monitoring Applications, Kaushal Bhavsar, Radhakrishna Prabhu & Pat pollard, 5th Scottish Postgraduate Symposium on Environmental Analytical Chemistry, Aberdeen, on 18th of December 2012.
- Modelling Formation Damage Induced by Propagation of Single-Phase Non-Newtonian Polymer Solution in Porous Media. Idahosa, Oluyemi, F. Gbenga, Oyeneyin, M. Babs and Radhakrishna Prabhu.37TH Edition of the SPE Nigeria Annual International Conference and Exhibition,30 Jul -1 Aug, 2013, Lagos. (NAICE 2013).
- Photonic efficiency of UV-LED based photocatalytic purification of produced water from the oil and gas industry, Olu Tokode, Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda Lawton, Peter K. J. Robertson, Optoelectronic Technologies for the Oil and Gas Industry TechnicalMeeting, Aberdeen on Thursday, 6 June2013.
- Photochemical degradation of environmental pollutants under periodic UV illumination, Olu Tokode,Radhakrishna Prabhu, Linda Lawton, Peter Robertson, 5th Scottish Postgraduate Symposium on Environmental Analytical Chemistry, Aberdeen, on 18th of December2012.
- Optical Fibre Based Multiparameter Sensing For Subsea Applications, Ritika Pawar & Radhakrishna Prabhu, European Optical Society Annual Meeting (EOSAM 2012) at AECC, Aberdeen From 25-28 September2012.
- EN3500: Signal acquisition, instrumentation and control
- EN3590: Environmental Engineering
- ASM012: Environmental analysis
- EN4521: Optical & Radio Communications
- EN4500: Engineering Analysis II
- EN3570: Energy Conversion and Storage