|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262847|
Dr Pestana's qualifactions include a BSc in Applied Biology from the University of Applied Science Bonn-Rhein-Sieg (Germany), a BHon (Biomedical Science) and a MSc (Instrumental Analytical Science – Environmental) from RGU.
He graduated with a PhD from RGU in 2012. ince then Dr Pestana has gathered experience in the drinking water industry in Australia and worked as a post-doc in Fortaleza, Brazil. Dr Pestana has over ten years of research experience in the field of monitoring and controlling cyanobacteria and their metabolites in aquatic systems.
- Monitoring and controlling cyanobacteria in aquatic environments
- Microplastics in fresh water
- Drinking water treatment
- Photocatalysis of organic pollutants
Dr Pestana's current research is in the area of photocatalytic removal of cyanobacteria and their secondary metabolites from drinking water and similar applications. He has recently branched out into research on microplastics as a vector for environmental pollutants in fresh water systems.
- Pestana, C.J., Capelo-Neto, J., Lawton, L.A., Oliveira, S., Carloto, I.,Linhares, H.P., 2019. The effect of water treatment unit processes oncyanobacterial trichome integrity. Science of the Total Environment 659,1403-1414.
- Pestana, C.J., Capelo-Neto, J., Barros, M.U.G., Menezes, I., Góis, A.,Santos, G., 2018. Consumer perception of water quality during an off-flavorevent in Fortaleza-Brazil. Journal of Water Supply: Research and Technology –AQUA 68(1), 63-73.
- Pestana, C.J., Robertson, P.K.J., Edwards, C., Wilhelm, W., McKenzie,Lawton, L.A., 2014. A continuous flow packed bed photocatalytic reactor for thedestruction of 2-methylisoborneol and geosmin utilising pelletised TiO2.Chemical Engineering Journal 235, 293-298.
- Pestana, C.J., Reeve, P.J., Sawade, E., Voldoire, C.F., Newton, K.,Praptiwi, R., Collingnon, L., Dreyfus, J., Hobson, P., Gaget,V., Newcombe, G.,2016. Fate of cyanobacteria in drinking water treatment plant lagoonsupernatant and sludge. Science of the Total Environment 565, 1192-1200.
- Lopes, I.K.C., Barros, M.U.G., Pestana, C.J., Capelo Neto, J., 2015.Prevalence of paralytic shellfish poison-producing Planktothrix agardhii and Cylindrospermopsisraciborskii in a Brazilian semi-arid reservoir. Acta LimnologicaBrasiliensia, 27(2), 238-246.