|Position:||Lecturer in Electrical & Electronic Engineering|
Dr. Muhammad-Sukki (PhD, CEng, MIET, ACGI) is a lecturer and the Research Degree Coordinator in the School of Engineering. His research interest is in designing optical concentrator, which can be used in many applications including creating a low cost solar photovoltaic system, illumination, heating and cooling of buildings, energy harvesting, desalination, medical devices, waste water treatment etc. He also carried out a number of non-technical research including market trend and financial analysis related to renewable technologies for various countries. He has published numerous articles in high impact factor journals (e.g. Nature, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Applied Energy, etc.), as well as presenting in various conferences related to his area. Prior to joining the academia, he was a communication engineer in Malaysia’s largest telecommunication company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research Degree Coordinator for School of Engineering
- Academic Tutor for First Year Engineering students
- Module Leader for Introduction to Industrial Electronics (UG)
- Module Leader for Design Exercise (for Part Time students) (UG)
- Module Leader for Introduction to Solar Energy Systems (MSc)
- PhD, Solar Engineering, Glasgow Caledonian University, United Kingdom (2013)
- MEng (Hons),Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Imperial College, United Kingdom (2006)
- Optical Concentrator
- Solar Photovoltaic
- Building Integrated Photovoltaic
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Renewable Energy Policies
- Nanotechnology Law & Policies
- Conceptual design for solar power driven rotating system (February 2017 – January 2020) – Collaboration with Kinnotech Ltd (a research unit under John White & Son (Weighing Machines) Ltd, Edinburgh.
- Smart window: The new generation of concentrating solar photovoltaic system (Feb 2018 – Dec 2018) - Collaboration with Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, (Malaysia).
- Fundamental Development of Low Cost Highly Efficient Solar Photovoltaic System via Mathematical Simulation of Newly Designed Solar Concentrator (July 2017 – June 2019) - Collaboration with Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, (Malaysia).
- Partial discharges in distributed generation in medium voltage networks (June 2016 – July 2018) - collaboration with Jubail Industrial College, Saudi Arabia.
- Development of a novel ocean desalination technology (Jan 2017 – February 2017) – collaboration with Hydro E&T Ltd, Aberdeen.
- Scottish Institute for Remanufacture (SIR)
- Scottish Funding Council
- Chilean Research Council (CONICYT)
- British Council – Newton Fund
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
- Chartered Engineer, Institution of Engineering and Technology (since 2017)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (since 2016)
- Associateship of City & Guilds of London Institute, United Kingdom (2006)
- Member of Institution of Engineering and Technology (since 2013)
- Graduate Member of Board of Engineers Malaysia (since 2007)
- D. Freier, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, T. Jafry, F. Muhammad-Sukki, and C. Gamio-Roffe, “A review of optical concentrators for portable solar photovoltaic systems for developing countries”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 90. pp. 957-968, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.03.039
- S. M. Haque, J. A. Ardila-Rey, Y. Umar, H. Rahman, A. A. Mas’ud, F. Muhammad-Sukki, and R. Albarracín, “Polymeric materials for conversion of electromagnetic waves from the sun to electric power,” Polymers (Basel), vol. 10, no. pp. 307:1-33, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/polym10030307
- M. E. Karim, A. B. Munir, M. A. Karim, F. Muhammad-Sukki, S. H. Abu-Bakar, N. Sellami, N. A. Bani and M. Z. Hassan, “Energy revolution for our common future: An evaluation of the emerging international renewable energy law,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1769:1-20, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/en11071769
- R. Karim, M. E. Karim, F. Muhammad-Sukki, S. H. Abu-Bakar, N. A. Bani, A. B. Munir, A. I. Kabir, J. A. Ardila-Rey and A. Abubakar Mas’ud, and, “Nuclear energy development in Bangladesh: A study of opportunities and challenges,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1672:1-15, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/en11071672
- D. Freier, F. Muhammad-Sukki, S. H. Abu-Bakar, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, A. B. Munir, S. H. Mohd Yasin, N. A. Bani, A. Abubakar Mas’ud, J. A. Ardila-Rey and M. E. Karim, “Annual prediction output of an RADTIRC-PV module,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 544:1-20, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/en11030544
- A. Abubakar Mas’ud, A.V. Wirba, S.J. Alshammari, F. Muhammad-Sukki, M.M. Abdullahi, R. Albarracín and M.Z. Hoq, “Solar energy potentials and benefits in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries: A review of substantial issues,” Energies, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 371:1-20, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/en11020372
- J. A. Ardila-Rey, J. Montaña, B. A. de Castro, R. Schurch, J. A. C. Ulson, F. Muhammad-Sukki, and N. A. Bani, “A comparison of inductive sensors in the characterization of partial discharges and electrical noise using the chromatic technique”, Sensors vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1021:1-17, 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/s18041021
- S. Ahmad, A. Nadeem, G. Akhanova, T. Houghton and F. Muhammad-Sukki, “Multi-criteria evaluation of renewable and nuclear resources for electricity generation in Kazakhstan”, Energy, vol. 141, pp. 1880-1891, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2017.11.102
- R. Ramirez-Iniguez, J. Deciga-Gusi, D. Freier, S. H. Abu-Bakar and F. Muhammad-Sukki, “Experimental evaluation of a solar window incorporating rotationally asymmetrical compound parabolic concentrators (RACPC)”, Energy Procedia, vol. 130, pp. 102-107, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.402
- 10.A. Abubakar Mas’ud, J. A. Ardila-Rey, R. Albarracín, F. Muhammad-Sukki, and N. A. Bani, “Comparison of the performance of artificial neural networks and fuzzy logic for recognizing different partial discharge sources,” Energies, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1060:1-20, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10071060
- A. Abubakar Mas’ud, A. V. Wirba, J. A. Ardila-Rey, R. Albarracín, F. Muhammad-Sukki, Á. Jaramillo Duque, N. A. Bani, and A. B. Munir, “Wind power potentials in Cameroon and Nigeria: Lessons from South Africa” Energies, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 443:1–19, 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10040443
- A. Abubakar Mas’ud, J. Ardila-Rey, R. Albarracín, and F. Muhammad-Sukki, “An ensemble-boosting algorithm for classifying partial discharge defects in electrical assets,” Machines, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 18:1-13, Aug. 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/machines5030018
- A. B. Munir, F. Muhammad-Sukki, and N. A. Bani, “Renewables: Solar energy needs focus,” Nature, vol. 529, no. 7587, p. 466, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1038/529466e
- D. Freier, F. Muhammad-Sukki, S. H. Abu-Bakar, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, A. Abubakar Mas’ud, R. Albarracín, J. A. Ardila-Rey, A. B. Munir, S. H. Mohd Yasin, and N. A. Bani, “Software simulation and experimental characterisation of a rotationally asymmetrical concentrator under direct and diffuse solar radiation,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 122, pp. 223–238, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.05.072
- S. H. Abu-Bakar, F. Muhammad-Sukki, D. Freier, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, T. K. Mallick, A. B. Munir, S. H. Mohd Yasin, A. Abubakar Mas’ud, and N. A. Bani, “Performance analysis of a solar window incorporating a novel rotationally asymmetrical concentrator,” Energy, vol. 99, pp. 181–192, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.01.006
- A. Abubakar Mas’ud, A. V. Wirba, F. Muhammad-Sukki, R. Albarracín, S. H. Abu-Bakar, A. B. Munir and N. A. Bani, “A review on the recent progress made on solar photovoltaic in selected countries of sub-Saharan Africa,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 62, pp. 441-452, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2016.04.055
- S. Ahmad, R. M. Tahar, F. Muhammad-Sukki, A. B. Munir, and R. A. Rahim, “Application of system dynamics approach in electricity sector modelling: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 56, pp. 29-37, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2015.11.034
- A. Abubakar Mas’ud, R. Albarracín, J. A. Ardila-Rey, F. Muhammad-Sukki, H. A. Illias, N. A. Bani, and A. B. Munir, “Artificial neural network application for partial discharge recognition: Survey and future directions,” Energies, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 574:1–18, 2016. https://doi.org/10.3390/en9080574
- S. H. Abu-Bakar, F. Muhammad-Sukki, D. Freier, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, T. K. Mallick, A. B. Munir, S. H. Mohd Yasin, A. Abubakar Mas’ud, and N. Md Yunus, “Optimisation of the performance of a novel rotationally asymmetrical optical concentrator design for building integrated photovoltaic system,” Energy, vol. 90, pp. 1033–1045, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.07.133
- S. H. Abu-Bakar, F. Muhammad-Sukki, D. Freier, R. Ramirez-Iniguez, T. K. Mallick, A. B. Munir, S. H. Mohd Yasin, A. Abubakar Mas’ud, and N. Md Yunus, “Performance analysis of a novel rotationally asymmetrical compound parabolic concentrator,” Applied Energy, vol. 154, pp. 221–231, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.04.122
- J. Cresswell, “RGU Researchers Look to Cut Cost of Solar Power,” Energy – The Press and Journal, pp. 39, March 2016.
- AGCC, “Lowering the Cost of Solar”, Business Bulletin, pp. 47, 2016.