|Position:||Academic Strategic Lead, Biological Science|
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262898|
Dr Goua is the Academic Strategic Lead for Biological Science at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences.
Her key research interests include the effects of nutrients, natural product extracts and novel compounds on cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis) and cancer. She mainly lectures on subjects related to molecular and cellular biology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Academic Strategic Lead for Biological Science
- Lecturer in Biomedical science
- Chartered Biologist
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Admission Tutor for the Biomedical Science Programme
- Year Tutor 3rd year Biomedical Science Programme
- Module Coordinator
- Member of the School Research Committee, of the School Recruitment and Marketing and of the School Ethics Committees
- Member of the Teaching, Learning and Assessment sub-committee
- External Examiner for the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences at Northumbria University
Dr Goua's key research interests include nutrient – gene interaction, cardiovascular disease and cancer in relation to inflammation. Her skills lie in the areas of cell culture, RNA studies, DNA damage, protein studies and flow cytometry. Dr Goua has strong involvement in European student research projects and supervises a number of PhD project students. Key research interests are:
- Effects of nutrients in diseases,
- Cancer and cardiovascular diseases,
She was involved in the local organising and scientific committee for at the 55th International Conference of the Bioscience of Lipids (ICBL) hosted by Robert Gordon University in June 2014. She has also been actively involved in Public Science Engagement events all over the UK.
Dr Goua's recent projects include:
- Cell cytotoxicity and DNA damage studies with new anti-cancer compounds, in collaboration with University of Osaka,
- Novel anti-cancer compounds and breast cancer
- Natural compounds and their effects in cancer, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases
- Exercise and cardiovascular disease prevention
- 2014: Friends of Anchor Research Project £9,000 - Principal Investigator with Bermano G, Barron GA, Kong Thoo Lin P.
- 2014: TENOVUS Moulton-Barrett PhD studentship £80,000 - Co-applicant with Kong Thoo Lin P and Bermano G.
- 2013: Institute of Health and Wellbeing Research PhD studentship £60,000 - Principal investigator with Bermano G, Barron G and Kong Thoo Lin P.
- 2013: Institute of Health and Wellbeing Research PhD studentship £60,000 - Co-supervisor with Bermano G, Burgess K, Dolan E.
- 2013: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science: Invitation Fellowship Program for Research in Japan. ~£12,000
- 2012: Interface Food and Drink Innovation Voucher Research Project £10,000 - Co-applicant with Bermano G, Kong P, Cowie E.
- 2011: Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation travel for collaborative project £3,000 - Co-applicant with Kong Thoo Lin P, and Kuraoka I and Iwai S from Osaka University.
- 2011: TENOVUS Research Project £8,500 - Co-applicant with Bermano G.
- 2010: Scottish Government for Public Engagement in Science for "Fat Body slim: Shape matters!". £25,000 - Co-applicant with Bermano G, Broom J, Wainwright C.
Published Abstracts (since 2005)
- Leighton D, Goua M, Burgess K, and Bermano G, "Selenium supplementation and modified high-intensity interval training (m-HIIT) to modulate systemic oxidative stress in sedentary overweight/obese adults: In vitro and in vivo studies", Biochemical Pharmacology (2017) O46, 139:124
- Goua M, Barron GA, Kong Thoo Lin P, Bermano G, "An in vitro study on the anti-cancer properties of rapeseed pomace extracts", Biochemical Pharmacology (2017) O3, 139:111
- Pohl F, Goua M, Bermano G, Russell WR, Scobbie L, Maciel P, Teixeira-Castro A, Kong Thoo Lin P Revalorisation of rapeseed pomace (RSP): A study into antioxidant and DNA protective properties (in vitro) of a RSP extract and its effects on neurodegenerative disease C. elegans models", Biochemical Pharmacology (2017) O18, 139:124.
- Pohl F, Goua M, Bermano G, Russell WR, Maciel P, Kong Thoo Lin P, "Study into the polyphenol content and antioxidant activity of rapeseed pomace extracts", Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2016) 76, OCE, E59.
- Kapravelou G, Brahim K, Goua M, Martínez R, Lopez-Jurado M, Aranda P, Porres J, Bermano G, “Role of Vigna Radiata extracts in modulating oxidative stress in an in vitro cell system,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (2015) 74, OCE3.
- Leighton D, Goua M, Dolan E, Burgess K, and Bermano G, “The role of selenium supplementation in cardiovascular disease prevention: an in vitro study to identify the molecular mechanism(s),” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, (2015) 74, OCE3.
- Leighton D, Goua M, Dolan E, Burgess K, Bermano G. Can selenium supplementation modify oxidative stress in-vitro? A role for selenium supplementation in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Journal of Inflammation (2015) 12, (Suppl 1), 7.
- Michel L, Walsh S, Wood S, De Roos B, Vosper H, Goua M & Wainwright CL. Fenofibrate, but not eicosapentanoic acid, attenuates hyperlipidaemia-induced endothelial dysfunction and elevated vascular endocannabinoid levels in ApoE-/- mice. Proceedings of the British Pharmacological Society (pA2 online) (2011 Winter Meeting of the BPS).
- Bermano G, Heys SD, Goua M, Smyth E, Chaturvedi S, McIntosh S & Wahle KWJ. Can differences in cellular antioxidant enzyme status predispose to breast cancer in women without a recognised increased risk? European Journal of Cancer supplements, (2007) 5, issue 4, 189.
- Chaturvedi S, Wahle, KWJ, Heys, SD, Bermano G , Smyth, E, McIntosh, S, Goua M. Can differences in cellular antioxidant enzyme status predispose to breast cancer in women without recognised increased risk? European Journal of Cancer supplements, (2007) 5, issue 3, 26.
- Mulgrew S, Goua M, Sneddon AA, Wahle KWJ. The effects of conjugated linoleic acids on the surface expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 on TNF- a stimulated human umbilical vein endothelial cells measured by flow cytometry. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, (2006) 65, 111A.
- Crabb-Wyke RH, Goua M, Wahle KWJ. The regulation of protein kinase C isomer expression in the MCF-7 line of breast cancer cells by conjugated linoleic acid isomers. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, (2006) 65, 109A.
- Goua M , Wahle KWJ - Measurement of the redox state in HUVEC and SMC pre-incubated with N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids by flow cytometry- Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, (2005) 136, 123.
- Mulgrew S, Goua M , Sneddon AA, Wahle KWJ - Measurement of the surface expression of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in interleukin-6 stimulated HUVEC by flow cytometry- Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, (2005) 136, 127.
- Pohl F, Goua M, Bermano G, Russell WR, Scobbie L, Sá Maciel PE, Kong Thoo Lin-Revalorisation of rapeseed pomace extracts: an in vitro study into its anti-oxidant and DNA protective properties. Food Chemistry (2018), 239, 323-332.
- Barron GA, Goua M, Wahle KWJ, Bermano G-Circulating levels of angiogenesis-related growth factors in breast cancer: a study to profile protein(s) responsible for tubule formation. Oncology Reports, (2017), 38(3): 1886-1894.
- Kopsida M, Barron GA, Bermano G, Kong Thoo Lin P and Goua M-Novel Bisnaphthalimidopropyl (BNIPs) derivatives as anticancer compounds targeting DNA in human breast cancer cells. Org. Biomol. Chem., (2016), 14, 9780-9789.
- Barron GA, Goua M, Kuraoka I, Bermano G, Iwai S, Kong Thoo Lin P-Bisnaphthalimidopropyl diaminodicyclohexylmethane induces DNA damage and repair instability in triple negative breast cancer cells via p21 expression. Chemico-biological interactions (2015) 242:307-315.
- Kapravelou G , Martínez R, Andrade AM, Nebot E, Camiletti D, Aparicio V, López-Jurado M, Aranda P, Arrebola F, Fernández-Segura E, Bermano G, Goua M, Galisteo M, and Porres JM- Aerobic interval exercise improves parameters of Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and other alterations of metabolic syndrome in obese Zucker rats. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, (2015), 40(12): 1242-1252.
GA, Bordet E, Goua M and Bermano G. Modulation of Angiogenesis by
Inflammatory Markers and the Role of Matrix Metalloproteinases in an
Endothelial Cell/Fibroblast Co-Culture System. Current Angiogenesis
- Bermano G, Smyth E, Goua M, Heys S, Wahle K. Impaired expression of glutathione peroxidase-4 gene in peripheral blood mononuclear cells as a biomarker of increased breast cancer risk. Cancer Biomarkers (2010) 7:39-46.
- Goua M , Mulgrew S, Frank J, Rees D, Sneddon AA and Wahle KWJ. Regulation of adhesion molecule expression in human vascular endothelial and smooth muscle cells by omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs): involvement of the transcription factor NF- k B? Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids (2008), 78(1):33-43.
- Fite A, Goua M, Wahle KWJ, Schofield AC, Hutcheon AW, Heys SD. Potentiation of the anti-tumour effect of docetaxel by conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) in breast cancer cells in vitro. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids (2007), 77(2):87-96.
- Goua M and Wahle KWJ - Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteins. Current Opinion in Lipidology, (2007) 18:113-6.
- Cazzola R, Russo-Volpe S, Miles E, Rees D, Bannerjee T, Roynette C, Wells S, Goua M , Wahle K , Calder P, and Cestano B- Age- and dose-dependent effects of an eicosapentaenoic acid-rich oil on cardiovascular risk factors in healthy male subjects Atherosclerosis (2007) 193(1); 159-167.
- Goua M and Wahle KWJ - Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteins. Current Opinion in Lipidology, (2006) 17; 195-8.
- Goua M and Wahle KWJ - Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteins. Current Opinion in Lipidology, (2005) 16; 389-391.
- Wahle KWJ and Goua M- Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteins. Current Opinion in Lipidology, (2004) 15; 491-493
- Wahle KWJ, Goua M, D’Urso S, Heys SD Conjugated linoleic acid effects on body composition and clinical biomarkers of disease in animals and man: metabolic and cell mechanisms. (2008) pp 54-101. In “Trans Fatty Acids”; Editors: RJ Hamilton, W Hamm & AJ Dijkstra; Publishers: Blackwell, Oxford. ISBN 978-1-4051-5691-2
Dr Goua lectures in subject related to molecular and cellular biology. She lectures on various modules across a number of courses and is involved in Honours project supervision for Biomedical Science and Biosciences BSc (Hons).
Dr Goua also is actively involved in student recruitment under the 2+2 degree link scheme with the Colleges and with universities across Europe. She is also the lead for the Access To Life Sciences programme for the School (https://www.rgu.ac.uk/future-students/access-rgu/access-rgu/access-to-forensic-and-analytical-science) to help widening access to higher education.