Research title: Horizontal Well Production Optimization Using Analytical Approach
Start date: October 2012
Drilling horizontal wells compared to the conventional vertical wells is indeed expensive. However, optimum production from certain formations (like CBM, tight oil and gas and shale oil and gas formations) is made possible, apart from other benefits, by drilling horizontal wells. Notwithstanding, to maximize their return on investment, production from these expensive horizontal wells needs be optimized.
Therefore, the project is focused on optimizing production from horizontal wells through a set of analytical models that will be developed. The results from these analytical models will be validated with both field data and the results from appropriate commercial simulators used in the industry.
Prof. Babs Oyeneyin (principal supervisor)
- Isehunwa, O.S., Olamigoke, O. and Makinde, A. A. “A Correlation to Predict the Viscosity of Light Crude Oils.” (SPE , NAICE 2006 – Conference Proceeding)
- Isehunwa, O.S., Makinde, A. A. and Olamigoke, O. “Carbon (IV) Oxide Capture and Sequestration.” (SPE , NAICE 2006 – Conference Proceeding)
- Isehunwa, O.S., Olamigoke, O. and Makinde, A. A. "Effects of Fiscal Terms and Contractual Agreements on Government Take in Nigerian Oil Industry" (Petroleum Training Journal Vol. 6 No. 1 2009)
- Orodu O. D., Makinde F. A., and Rotimi O. J. An Integrated Schematic Approach to Hydraulic Flow Unit Determination and Validation, AAPG Search and Discovery Article #90115©2010 AAPG Africa Region Annual Conference, Abuja, Nigeria, 14-19 November 2010.
- Makinde F. A., Adefidipe, O. A., and Craig, A. J. "Water Coning in Horizontal Wells: Prediction of Post-Breakthrough Performance." (International Journal of Engineering and Technology IJET-IJENS Vol:11 No:01. 2011)
- Makinde F. A., Joledo A. and Ako C. T. "Liquid Loading and Gas Well Deliverability: A Production Approach" (Journal of Petroleum Science and Technology. 13, 603-615, 2013)
- F. A. Makinde, A. D. Adejumo, C. T. Ako and V.E. Efeovbokhan "Modelling the Effects of Temperature and Aging Time on the Rheological Properties of Drilling Fluids" (Petroleum and Coal. 53(3) 167-182, 2011)
- Efeovbokhan V.E., Anawe, P. A. L., Makinde, F. A. and Odunmbaku, Omolu " Comparison of the Efficiency of Sodium Nitrate and Superphosphate as Nutrients in the Bioremediation of Petroleum Hydrocarbon Polluted Water " (American Journal Of Scientific And Industrial Research, AJSIR. 2(2): 278-282, 2011)
- Makinde, F. A. , Ako, C. T., Orodu O. D and Asuquo I. U " Prediction Of Crude Oil Viscosity Using Feed-Forward Back-Propagation Neural Network (FFBPNN)" (Petroleum and Coal. 54(2) 120 -131, 2012)
- Makinde, F. A. , Orodu O. D., Ladipo A. O., and Anawe P. A. L." Cumulative Production Forecast Of An Oil Well Using Simplified 'Hyperbolic-Exponential' Decline Models" (Global Journal of Researches in Engineering. Volume 12, Issue 2, Version 1.0 May 2012)
- Oyinkepreye D. Orodu, E. Ikpang , F. A. Makinde " Optimal Well Utilization under Uncertainty for Naturally Depleted and Water-flooded Reservoirs" (Petroleum Technology Development Journal. Vol. 2, No. 2, July 2012)
- Orodu, O. D., Makinde, F. A., Orodu, K. B. (Accepted) “Experimental Study of Darcy and Non-Darcy Flow in Porous Media”, International Journal of Engineering and Technology.
- Orodu, O. D., Ako, C.T., Makinde, F. A., and Owarume, M. O.. “Well Deliverability Predictions of Gas Flow in Gas-Condensate Reservoirs, Modelling Near-Critical Wellbore Problem of Two-Phase Flow in 1-Dimension”(Brazilian Journal of Petroleum and Gas.Vol.6 n.4, pg. 159 -167, 2012 )