|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262719|
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaching and related activities in Digital Media and Computer Animations & Gaming.
- Research, consultancy and other forms of income generation in Creative Media Technology.
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students' supervisions.
- 01/11/2007 - 01/12/2010: PhD in School of Computing,Informatics and Media, University of Bradford, UK.
- 01/09/2011 - 17/02/2014: Lecturer in Creative Media Technology at Faculty of Engineering and Environment, Northumbria University
- 01/09/2013 - 18/02/2014: Programme Leader of Computer Animation & VFX
- 18/02/2014 – 31/08/2020 Lecturer in Digital Media at School of Computing Science and Digital Media, Robert Gordon University
- 01/09/2020 - Present, Senior Lecturer in Digital Media at School of Computing Science and Digital Media, Robert Gordon University
Dr. Yang Jiang's research interests are majorly on 3D visualizations, Immersive Technologies, computer gaming and computer-generated 3D character animations, as well as real-time motion capture. Her research objective is trying to bridge the gap between graphics based computer generated media and the real-time captured videos, images as well as other forms of media, especially in 3D forms. As a key researcher in RGUx (RGU User Experience Lab), in collaboration with artists and local creative media industry, Dr. Jiang explores research on 3D visualizations to: (i) create interesting animation characters and scenes with new mathematics models; (ii) reconstruct events from videos to enrich computer animations; (iii) 3D visualizations for GIS; and (iv) new game and user-centred design in Human Computer Interaction area.
- Fellow of the HEA
- Aurora Women Leadership, Recognized by AdvancedHE
- Jiang, Y., Chen, W., Joan, A, “Immersive Flooding Event Simulation for Climate Resilience Analysis”, accepted by EGU General Assembly Conference, May 2020
- Chen, W., Jiang, Y., “Use of Digital and 3D Visualisation Technology in Planning for Woodland Expansion”, accepted by EGU General Assembly Conference, May 2020
- Cross, K. Jiang, Y., Steed, J., Abstract “Harris Tweed: a global case study; authentic product; augmented reality; sustainable consumption; sustainable communities” accepted for paper presentation at the IFFTI 2020 conference at Kent State University
- 4. Steed, J., Jiang, Y., Cross, K. 2019. Conference Paper: From Augmented to Authentic: Weaving the Past into the Future, Shoormal Conference, New coasts and shorelines: Shifting sands in the creative economy; Mareel, Lerwick, Shetland 18-20 September 2019. https://www.shetlandarts.org/our-work/projects/shoormalconference
- 5. Steed, J., Jiang, Y., Cross, K. 2019. Journal Article: Augmented Fashion: a legitimate ‘immersive’ platform for revaluing sustainability, authenticity and heritage within fashion brands and consumer awareness, Current Trends in Fashion Technology & Textile Engineering (CTFTTE) Juniper Publishers (anticipated publication date: Dec 2019)
- Chen Wang, Jingming Hou, David Miller, Iain Brown and Jiang Y, “Flood Risk Management in Sponge Cities: The Role of Integrated Simulation and 3D Visualization”, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction (IF: 2.568). doi: target="_blank">https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101139
- 7. SHEN, L., LI, G., XIAN, C., JIANG, Y. and XIONG, Y. 2019. Door and window in 3D point cloud of indoor scenes. Jisuanji fuzhu sheji yu tuxingxue xuebao/Journal of computer-aided design and computer graphics [online], 31(9), pages 1494-1501. doi:https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1089.2019.17575.
- Book Chapter of Environmental Modelling and Character Animation for Virtual Realities, Introduction to Virtual Reality - A Textbook for Chinese Higher Education Institutes in Computer Science. Work with Shenzhen University, 09/2017, on publishing.
- Wang, C and Jiang Y, “GIS-Based Visualization of Future Landscape”, EGU General Assembly Conference, Vol.20, EGU 2018-1447-1, 2018
- Wang.C, Jiang. Y, Xie.H, Miller.D and Brown. I, “Development of a Flood Warning Simulation System: A Case Study of 2007 Tewkesbury Flood”, FLOODrisk, volume 7, pp. 1-5, 2016.
- Wang C, Miller D, Jiang Y and Brown I. Integration of GIS and Virtual Reality for Future Land-Use: A Case Study from Royal Deeside. GISRUK 2016, University of Greenwich, 30th March – 1st April 2016
- Wang C, Miller D, Brown I, Jiang Y and Castellazzi M, 2015. Visualisation techniques to support public interpretation of future climate change and land-use choices: a case study from N-E Scotland. International Journal of Digital Earth (IF: 3.291), International Journal of Digital Earth, Volume 9, Issue 6, pp.586-605, 2016.
- Wang C, Miller D, Jiang Y, Brown I, Marine & Seascape Visualisation to Support Planning of Renewable Energy Developments, 2015 International Conference on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection, University of the West of Scotland, UK, August 11 to 14, 2015.
- Wang. C, Miller. D, Jiang Y and Donaldson-Selby. G, “Use of 3D Visualisation Tools for Representing Urban Greenspace Spatial Planning”, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Information Science and Control Engineering (ICISCE 2015), 24-26 April, pp 528-532, 2015.
- Wang. C, Miller. D, Horne.P, Jiang.Y, Donaldson-Selby.G., and Morrice. J.: “Visualisation of Spread of Chalara Ash Dieback for Raising Public Awareness and Responsible Woodland Access”, GISRUK 2015, University of Leeds, 15th – 17th April, 2015
- Wang, C., Miller. D.R., Jiang, Y., Donaldson-Selby, G., Horne, P., Morrice, J, “3D Modelling of Offshore Wind Farms for the West Coast of Scotland”, GIS Research UK, University of Glasgow, 16th-18th April 2014.
- Hubert P. H. Shum, Edmond S. L. Ho, Yang Jiang and Shu Takagi, “Real-Time Posture Reconstruction for Microsoft Kinect”, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (IF: 3.469), Volume: 43, Issue: 5, 2013;
- Wang.C, Miller.D, Jiang.Y and Morrice.J, "Developing a Novel Approach for 3D Visualisation of Tarland", IEEE 17th International Conference on Information Visualisation, London,UK. 15-18 July 2013.
- MA Al-Mamun, N Kazmi, MA Hossain, P Vickers, Y Jiang, “An intelligent decision support system for personalized cancer treatment”, CIS2012: 11th IEEE Conference on Cybernetic Intelligent Systems, 23-24
- Wang. C, Miller. D, Jiang.Y, Horne. P and Morrice. J, "Integration of Maya and ArcGIS: A New Approach to Representation in Virtual Environments", 12th International Conference on Design & Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning, August 27th-29th 2012
- Xiao G., Jiang Y., Song G. and Jiang J. 'Support-vector-machine tree-based domain knowledge learning towards automated sports video classification', Optical Engineering (IF: 0.954), Vol 49, No 127003-127003-6, December, 2010.
- Yang Jiang, Jianmin Jiang. ‘Algorithm Development towards Intelligent Analysis and Interpretation of Digital Media Content’, Proceeding of IEEE 18th International Electrotechnical and Computer Science Conference, Slovenia, September 21~23, 2009;
- Yang Jiang, Jianmin Jiang and Paolo Capodieci. ‘A SVM-based behavior monitoring algorithm towards detection of un-desired events in critical infrastructures’, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, SPRINGER, Vol 63, PP61-68, 2009, ISSN: 1615-3871;
- Yang Jiang, Jianmin Jiang and Ian Palmer ‘A Decision Tree Approach for Scene Pattern Recognition and Extraction in Snooker Videos’, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg; ISSN: 0302-9743 (Print) 1611-3349 (Online); Volume 5627, 2009, PP947-954;
- Yang Jiang, Jianmin Jiang and I.J. Palmer ‘Computerised Interactive Gaming via Supporting Vector Machines’, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, International Journal of Computer Games Technology, Volume 2008, Article ID 186941, ISSN:1687-7047, 2008;
- Yang Jiang, Jianmin Jiang, and Ian Palmer ‘A SVM based AI design for interactive gaming’, International Conference on Computer Gaming and Relevant Technologies, Singapore, April 28~30, 2008 (best paper award);
Awards and Funding
- 01/02/2020 – 01/02/2023 PI for 36 months project funded by AHRC, “Augmented Fashion: Immersive Interactions for Sustainable Heritage in Fashion and Textiles”, £1.3 million awarded, £500,000 from AHRC + £844,349 matched funding from all partners across UK & China. Continuing project from AHRC “UK-China Creative Industries Partnership Development Grants”.
- 02/12/2019 – 04/12/2019 Funded by AHRC to attend UK-China Creative Industries Collaboration high profile event in Shanghai, lightening speech on Augmented Fashion project.
- 14/02/2019 – 14/08/2019 PI for AHRC “UK-China Creative Industries Partnership Development Grants”, Project Title: “From Augmented to Authentic, Weaving the Past into Future”. Project website: www.augmentedfashion.co.uk Grant of £22,335 awarded.
- 09/2020 – 09/2023 PI: 2 * Full funded PhD Studentship by School of Computing Science and Digital Media, Robert Gordon University. The project will be 36 months duration, commencing in Feb 2020. The studentship includes tuition fees (at Home/EU or International level) as well as a tax-free stipend of £14,777 per annum for three years.
- June 2019, PI, hosting SICSA’s DVF (Distinguished Visiting Fellow) scheme. £2,260 awarded.
- May, 2019, PI for SICSA (The Scottish Informatics & Computer Science Alliance) Themed Workshop Event, £300 to host and organized a workshop.
- 14/02/2019 – 14/08/2019 PI for AHRC “UK-China Creative Industries Partnership Development Grants”, Project Title: “From Augmented to Authentic, Weaving the Past into Future”. Grant of £22,335 awarded. More Information Could be found at www.augmentedfashion.co.uk
- 02/2019 – 12/2019, Co-PI for “Fraserburgh Digital Culture Heritage Project”, H2020 Fraserburgh 2021 Regeneration – Heritage, Culture and Citizens in Fraserburgh (HCC). Grant of £35,000 awarded. Project PI: Dr. Marianthi Leon
- 01/2019 – 12/2019 Co-PI for National Centre for Resilience Research Grants, project title “Developing a Digital Flood Evacuation Model for Climate Change and Wellbeing”. Grant of £35,812 awarded. PI: Dr. Leslie Mabon
- 2020 – 2023, PI: Full funded PhD Studentship by School of Computing Science and Digital Media, Robert Gordon University. The project will be 36 months duration, commencing in August 2019. The studentship includes tuition fees (at Home/EU or International level) as well as a tax-free stipend of £14,777 per annum for three years.
- 12/2018 – 07/2019 Co-I for Robert Gordon University internal Pump Priming Grant, project title “Customisable evacuation simulation tool for historic buildings”, Grant of £13,092 awarded. PI: Dr. Arthur Stewart
- 06/11/2018 – 07/11/2018 Funded by AHRC to attend UK-China Collaborations in the Creative Industries workshop in Shanghai.
- 27/06/2018 – 30/06/2018 Funded by Newton Fund to attend UK-China Newton Fund Researcher Links Workshop Health and Well-being Through VR and AR, Presentation entitled: “Mixed Reality for health incentivisation”.
- 15/06/2017 – 01/08/2017 PI: Fully Funded Project: Postdoctoral and Early Career Researcher Exchanges (PECE) from SICSA (The Scottish Informatics & Computer Science Alliance). Fully awarded research project. Collaborative work with Shenzhen University in China under the research theme of Immersive Technologies.
- Full PhD studentship award for three years in Digital Media by the University of Bradford and participation in the EU Framework-6 IP project: Live staging of media events (EU contract: 027312);
- Best student research paper award from International Conference on Computer Gaming and Relevant Technologies, Singapore, 2008, for the paper title: A SVM based AI design for interactive gaming.
Invited Talks and Keynote Speeches
- 02/12/2019 – 04/12/2019 Funded by AHRC to attend UK-China Creative Industries Collaboration high profile event in Shanghai, keynotes speech on Augmented Fashion project.
- 04/09/2019 Invited talk in School of Geography, Queen Mary University of London, to present my work on "Imaging the Environment - 3D shape and network analysis applied to environmental science" workshop funded by NERC. Presentation title: “3D Visualization for Land Use, Climate Change, and Community Resilience”.
- 16/07/2019 Invited Talk at Xi’an University of Technologies: Presentation title: Immersive Technology – Applications and Research Challenges
- 20/03/2019 Funded by AHRC for an invited talk in Museum of London as project PI, Presentation title: “From Augmented to Authentic, Weaving the past into future”.
- 06/11/2018 – 07/11/2018 Funded by AHRC to attend UK-China Collaborations in the Creative Industries, Development through the Creative Economy in China workshop in Shanghai.
- 27/06/2018 – 30/06/2018 funded to attend UK-China Newton Fund Researcher Links Workshop Health and Well-being Through VR and AR. Presentation Title: “Mixed Reality Virtual Coach System on gaits analysis for health incentivisation”.