|Position:||Head of School|
|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262789|
- Senior Lecturer in Computing
- Course Leader - BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- Course Leader - BSc (Hons) Computing (Application Software Development)
- Course Leader - MSci Computer Science
Duties and Responsibilities
- John is course leader of the Computer Science and Computing (Application Software Development) degree routes, and MSci Computer Science
- Principal teaching area is programming where I currently teach web and embedded systems programming.
2011 PhD Sustainability Assessment and Visualisation in Urban Environments, University of Abertay Dundee
2012 Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education & Training, University of Abertay Dundee
2006 BSc (Hons) Computing (First Class), University of Abertay Dundee
2001 BSc Biology, University of Dundee
Principal research interest is in developing interactive visualisation to aid the comprehension of complex information. As part of his PhD he has developed an interactive visualisation platform based on computer games technology which allows user interaction and real-time decision impact assessment. This platform has been applied to a number of fields, including urban regeneration, demographic change, land use management and pollution control, these projects studied how visualisation can be used to allow better engagement and understanding in any decision making process.
John has a strong interest in IOT and embedded systems, mobile phone development and web application development and have previously had papers published and research funding in these areas.
- BLACKWOOD D J,GILMOUR D J, ISAACS J P, KURKA T, FALCONER R E, 2014, "Sustainable urban development in practice: the SAVE concept" Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 41(5)885 – 906
- BRADLEY D,RUSSEL D, FERGUSON I, ISAACS J, MACLEODA, WHITE R (2014) The Internet of Things– The future or the end of mechatronics. Mechatronic. Volume 27, April 2015, Pages 57–74
- ISAACS J, FALCONER R, GILMOUR D, STOJANOVIC V ANDBLACKWOOD D (2014) Visual Simulation for Stakeholder Engagement & Dialogue, Behave Energy Conference, Oxford, September 2014.
- SCOTT-BROWN,K. C., HARRIS, J., SIMMERS, A., THURSTON, M., ABBAS, M. DEMAJO, T., REYNOLDS, I. ROBINSON, G. MITCHELL, I, GILMOUR, D. MARTINEZ, S., & ISAACX, J.(2014) Tapology: A game-based platform to facilitate e-health and e-inclusion. In Stephanidis, C. & Antona, M. (Eds) Lecture Notes in Computer Science: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Part III, 8515, pp. 368-377.
- STOJANOVIC V, FALCONER R,ISAACS J, GILMOUR D AND BLACKWOOD D (2013) Interactive visualisation to support sustainability assessment in land use scenario planning. In: Smith, S D (Ed.) and Ahiaga-Dagbui, D. D (Ed.), Proceedings 29th Annual ARCOM Conference, 2-4 September 2013, Reading, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management., 1373–1382.
- STOJANOVIC, V.; BLACKWOOD, D.;GILMOUR, D.; ISAACS, J.P.; FALCONER, R.E., "Comparison of Advanced and Standard Real-Time 3D Rendering Methods for Interactive Landscapes (Short Paper Version)," Information Visualisation (IV), 2013 17th International Conference , vol., no., pp.539,544, 16-18 July 2013.
- ISAACS,J. P., BLACKWOOD, D. J., GILMOUR, D., & FALCONER, R. E. (2013). Real-Time Visual Simulation of Urban Sustainability. International Journal of E-Planning Research (IJEPR), 2(1), 20-42.
- ISAACS, J.P., MARTINEZ, S., SCOT-BROWN,K., MILNE, A., EVANS, A., GILMOUR, D. (2013). Mobile Technology and E-Inclusion. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Volume 8011,pp 626-635
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER, R., BLACKWOOD,D. & GILMOUR, D. (2011) Enhancing urban sustainability using 3D visualisation. Urban Design and Planning. 164 (3)
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER, R.,BLACKWOOD, D. & GILMOUR, D. (2011) Immersive and non-immersive 3D virtual city: decision support tool for urban sustainability. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. Vol. 16
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER, R., BLACKWOOD, D.,GILMOUR, D., COMBER, S & WHITEHEAD, P.(2011) Enhancement of Water Treatment Sustainability through Dynamic Visualisation & Modelling. 12th International Conference on UrbanDrainage, Porto Alegre/Brazil.
- ISAACS, J, FALCONER, R, GILMOUR, D and BLACKWOOD, D (2010) Modelling and visualizing sustainability assessment in urban environments. In: Egbu, C (Ed.), 26th Annual ARCOM Conference, Leeds. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, Vol. 2, 1477-86
- GILMOUR, D, BLACKWOOD, D, FALCONER, R and ISAACS, J (2010) Understanding decisions for sustainable development. In:Egbu, C (Ed.), 26th Annual ARCOM Conference, Leeds. Association of Researchers in Construction Management, Vol. 2,859-67.
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER, R., BLACKWOOD, D. & GILMOUR, D. (2010) Sustainable Urban Developments: Stakeholder engagement through 3D visualisation. The Eleventh IASTED International Conference on Computer Graphics and Imaging. Innsbruck.
- GILMOUR, D., FALCONER, R., BLACKWOOD, D. & ISAACS, J. (2009) Enhancing urban sustainability through novel visualisation. IN HORNER, M.,PRICE, A., BEBBINGTON, J. & EMMANUEL, R. (Eds.) Second International Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment. Loughborough, UK.
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER,R., BLACKWOOD, D. & GILMOUR, D. (2009) Modelling and Visualising Sustainable Urban Developments, IN Fifth Annual International Sustainable Development Conference. Inverness, UK.
- ISAACS, J., FALCONER, R. & BLACKWOOD, D. (2008) A Unique Approach to Visualising Sustainability in the Built Environment. IEEE ComputerSociety Washington, DC, USA.
- ISAACS, J., BLACKWOOD, D. & FALCONER, R. (2007) The Role of Visualisation in Effective Sustainability Assessment. IN HORNER, M.,HARDCASTLE, C., PRICE, A. & BEBBINGTON, J. (Eds.) International Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment. Glasgow.