|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 262351|
Dr Mamdud Hossain is a Reader in Thermofluids at the School of Engineering of Robert Gordon University. He leads the Flow Modelling Research Group. His research interests include applying computational modelling techniques to solve some of the most challenging and interesting problems related to hydrogen fuel cell, combustion and multi-phase flows for oil and gas industry. His research has been funded through the Northern Research Partnership, Innovate UK, OGIC and the Carnegie Trust. He is a Science Board member of EPSRC Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Supergen Hub. He is Chartered Engineering and member of IMechE and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reader; Flow Modelling Research Group Lead; Couse Leader, MSc Oil and Gas Innovation; Stage 2 Tutor; ICRGU Link Tutor; REF2021 Co-coordinator
PgCertHELT Department for the Enhancement of Learning, Teaching and Assessment, Robert Gordon University, 2009
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK, 1999
M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Eng. & Tech. (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1996
B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering, Bangladesh Univ. of Eng. & Tech. (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1993
Wave and Tidal Energy; Fuel Cell; Oil and Gas Flow Assurance
- Design and Development of an Innovative Wave Energy Extractor Device
- Development of Waste Water Treatment
- Flow Induced Vibration Prediction at Pipe Bends due to Slug Flow
- Sand transport and erosion prediction in Oil and Gas Pipelines
- Enhanced Hydrocyclone separator development using nanoparticle doping
- Farm Waste Utilisation: Robust Thermal Engineering Approach for Generating Energy from Wastes. Investigators: M.C. Paul (University of Glasgow), A. Wahab (UWS), J. Lee (Strathclyde), M. Hossain (Robert Gordon Universities.
- Combustion & Gasification Engineering (CombGEN): Development of robust computational resources for optimising the processes of combustion and gasification of various sources of fuel energy. Investigators: M M. C. Paul (PI), Paul Younger, Ian Watson (Glasgow), Mamdud Hossain (Robert Gordon), Stephen Welch (Edinburgh).
- Design and Development of an Innovative Wave Energy Extractor Device, Oil and Gas Innovation Centre (OGIC), April 2018.
- Waste Water Treatment, NCR, Knowledge Transfer Partnership, £249,731, May. 2016-May 2019, PI: Mamdud Hossain, Morgan Adams; Co-PI: Sheikh Islam, Carlos Fernandez.
CEng, MIMecE; SFHEA
External / Professional Roles
External Examiner, University of East Anglia; MEng/BEng(Hons) Energy Engineering
External Examiner for PhD degree (Loughborough, Northumbria, Cranfield, Dublin City University)
- Tebowei, R., Hossain, M., Islam, S. Z., Droubi, M. G., Oluyemi, G. (2018). Investigation of Sand Transport in an undulated pipe using computational fluid dynamics, Journal of Petroleum, Science and Technology, 162, 747-762. doi:10.1016/j.petrol.2017.11.003. (Impact factor: 1.873)
- Li, J., Paul, M. C., Younger, P. L., Watson, I., Hossain, M. Welch, S. (2016), Prediction of high-temperature raid combustion behaviour of woody biomass particles, Fuel, 165, 205-214. doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2015 (Impact factor: 4.601)
- Li, J., Paul, M. C., Younger, P. L., Watson, I., Hossain, M. Welch, S. (2015), Characterization of biomass combustion at high temperatures based on an upgraded single particle model, Applied Energy, 156, 749-755. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.04.027. (Impact factor: 7.182)
- Faisal, N.H. Ahmed, R. Prathuru, A.K., Spence, S. Hossain, M. and Steel, J. A. (2014), An improved Vickers indentation fracture toughness model to assess the quality of thermally sprayed coatings, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 128, 189-204. doi:10.1016/j.engfracmech.2014.07.015. (Impact Factor: 2.151)
- Hossain, M., Islam, S. Z. and Pollard, P. (2013) Investigation of species transport in a gas diffusion layer of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell through two-phase modelling, Renewable Energy, 51, 404-418. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.10.008. (Impact Factor: 4.357)
- Hossain, M., Davies, A., Islam, S. Z. and Adom, E. (2013) Water dynamics inside a cathode channel of a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell, Renewable Energy, 50, 763-779. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2012.08.041. (Impact Factor: 4.357)
- Hossain, M., Islam, S. Z. and Pollard, P. (2012) Numerical study of the effect of effective diffusivity coefficient and permeability of gas diffusion layer on fuel cell performance, Proc. IMechE, Part A: J. Power and Energy, 226(7) 907-921. doi:10.1177/0957650912454402. (Impact Factor: 0.939)
Ross-based firm eyes waste treatment breakthrough in hook-up with uni boffins; https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/News/Ross-based-firm-eyes-waste-treatment-breakthrough-in-hook-up-with-uni-boffins-02082016.htm