|Position:||Lecturer in Electrical and Electronic Engineering|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Teachinga) EN5502 Advanced Signal Processing and Systems Analysis (Part II: Digital Control)b) EN1510 Introduction to Electronics (Tutorials/Labs)
- Research at IDEAS
- Ph.D. in Automation and Computer Aided Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (2001)
- M. Phil. In Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (1996)
- B. Eng. (Hons.) in Electronic Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (1994)
Research Interests / Professional Background
Dr Fung's research interests include Intelligent Robotics; Networked Robotics; Computational Intelligence; Human-machine Interaction; and Nanomanipulation. In particular, he is interested in
- Applying fuzzy set theory in solving fundamental problems of mapping, path planning, navigation, localization and SLAM in mobile robotics under uncertain and dynamic environments;
- Fuzzy Dynamic Systems;
- Real-time Teleoperation Systems , P2P system in Teleoperation;
- Real-time Visual Feedback in AFM based Nanomanipulation Systems;
- Deep Learning in Robotic Applications.
After he obtained his Ph.D. in Department of Automation and Computer Engineering (which is now renamed to Department of Mechanical and Automation Engineering), the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Dr Fung joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA, as a postdoctoral research associate in 2001-2002. He then returned to the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong as a postdoctoral fellow in 2003-2005. His postdoctoral research focussed on real-time Internet based teleoperation and nanomanipulation. Before he joined School of Engineering, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK in 2013, he was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, as an assistant professor, in 2005-2012. While he was with the University of Manitoba, he served on the Computer Engineering Curriculum Committee and Graduate Studies Committee in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. He graduated three M.Sc. Theses by research and he has been co-supervising a Ph.D. thesis on large scale power system networks simulation using GPU computing.
Dr Fung actively participates in serving on organizing committees (as publication chair), programme committee and as reviewers on various peer-reviewed international journals and conferences related to robotics and computational intelligence. He also served as reviewers for NSERC national grants in Canada.
Additional Information / Media Work / Funding
- Co-Investigator of “3D Stereoscopic Augmented Reality System for Nano-assembly and Nano-experimentation using Atomic Force Microscopy”, Hong Kong Research Grant Council Earmarked Grant, HK$506,447, 2004-2007.
- “Augmented Reality System for Real-time Nanomanipulation using Atomic Force Microscopy”, N. Xi., W. K. Fung, M. Yu, and G. Li, US Patent 6,862,924, March 2005.
Professional Body Membership
- IEEE Senior Member (since 2009)
- Member of IEEE Robotics and Automation SocietyMember of IEEE Computational Intelligence Society
- W. J. Li, N. Xi, W. K. Fung, and T. S. Wong, “Nanorobotics and Nanomanipulation,” in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, H. S. Nalwa, Ed., vol. 7, pp. 351–365. American Scientific Publications, 2004.
Selected Refereed Journal Papers
- Y. Maddahi, R. A. Rahman, W. K. Fung, and N. Sepehri, “Effect of Network Quality on Performance of Bilateral Teleoperated Hydraulic Manipulators: A Comparative Study,” Control and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 11-25, 2013.
- K. Zarei-nia, A. Yazdanpanah Goharrizi, N. Sepehri, and W. K. Fung, “Experimental Evaluation of Bilateral Control Schemes Applied to a Teleoperated Hydraulic Actuator: A Comparative Study,” Transactions of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 29–50, Dec. 2009.
- G. Li, N. Xi, M. Yu, and W. K. Fung, “Planning and Control of 3-D Nano-manipulation,” Acta Mechanica Sinica, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 117–124, Apr. 2004.
- W. K. Fung and Y. H. Liu, “Feature Extraction of Robot Sensor Data using Factor Analysis of Behavior Learning,” Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 284–294, 2004.
- G. Y. Li, N. Xi, M. M. Yu, and W. K. Fung, “Development of Augmented Reality System for Nanomanipulation using Atomic Force Microscopy,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 358–365, Jun., 2004.
- W. K. Fung and Y. H. Liu, “Adaptive Categorization in ART Networks in Robot Behavior Learning using Game-theoretic Formulation,” Neural Networks, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1403–1420, Dec. 2003.
- I. Elhajj, N. Xi, W. K. Fung, Y. H. Liu, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Multi-site Real-time Tele-cooperation via the Internet,” Advanced Robotics, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 235–251, 2003.
- I. Elhajj, N. Xi, W. K. Fung, Y. H. Liu, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Supermedia-enhanced Internet-based Telerobotics,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 396–421, Mar. 2003.
- I. Elhajj, J. Tan, N. Xi, W. K. Fung, Y. H. Liu, T. Kaga, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Multi-site internet-based tele-cooperation,” Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 9, pp. 117–127, 2002.
- I. Elhajj, N. Xi, W. K. Fung, Y. H. Liu, W. J. Li, T. Kaga, and T. Fukuda. Haptic Information in Internet-Based Teleoperation. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 6(3):295–304, September 2001.
Selected Refereed Conference Papers
- Y. Maddahi, N. Sepehri, S. Liao, W. K. Fung, and E. Hossain, “Wireless Control of Teleoperated Hydraulic Manipulator: Application Towards Live-line Maintenance,”in Proceedings of ASME/BATH 2013 Symposium on Fluid Power and Motion Control, 2013, Accepted.
- J. K. Debnath, A. M. Gole, and W. K. Fung, “Electromagnetic Transient Simulation of Large-Scale Electrical Power Networks Using Graphics Processing Units,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Power Systems Transient, 2013, Accepted.
- J. D. Terrazas Gonzalez, G. Linton, W. K. Fung, and R. Barwell, “On Internet based Supermedia Enhanced Telepresence via Cellular Data Network,” in Proceedings of the 38th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Oct. 2012, pp. 2738–2743.
- S. Liao and W. K. Fung, “On network simulation for performance evaluation of real-time internet-based teleoperation,” in Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Dec. 2011, pp. 750–755.
- M. Esfandiari, K. Zarei-nia, W. K. Fung, and N. Sepehri, “Performance Evaluation of Three Schemes Applied to Bilateral Control of a Hydraulic Actuator Interacting with Deformable Environments,” in Proceedings of 2010 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Dec. 2010, pp. 1148–1153.
- K. Zarei-nia, A. Y. Goharrizi, N. Sepehri, and W. K. Fung, “Experimental evaluation of two bilateral control schemes applied to a tele-operated hydraulic actuator,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Oct. 2009, pp. 353–359.
- J. K. Debnath, N. M. S. Rahim, and W. K. Fung, “A Modified Vector Quantization based Image Compression Technique using Wavelet Transform,” in Proceedings of 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, June 2008, pp. 171–176.
- W. K. Fung, W. T. Lo, Y. H. Liu, and N. Xi, “A Case Study of 3D Stereoscopic vs. 2D Monoscopic Tele-reality in Real-time Dexterous Teleoperation,” in Proceedings of 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Aug. 2005, pp. 2175–2180.
- W. K. Fung, N. Xi, W. T. Lo, B. H. Song, Y. Sun, and Y. H. Liu, “Task Driven Dynamic QoS based Bandwidth Allocation for Real-time Teleoperation via the Internet,” in Proceedings of 2003 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Oct. 2003, vol. 2, pp. 1094–1099.
- W. K. Fung, N. Xi, W. T. Lo, and Y. H. Liu. Improving Efficiency of Internet based Teleoperation using Network QoS. in Proceedings of 2002 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 3, pages 2707-2712, 2002.