|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224262839|
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Christine Edwards is a Professor in Applied Microbiology.
- BSc Hons Microbiology, University College London (1984).
- PhD University College London (1993)
Research Interests / Professional Background
Professor Edwards has over 30 years’ experience in biotoxin research with >10 years’ industrial experience, with the rest of her career in Universities (UCL, Dundee and RGU). As Co-Director of CyanoSol at RGU, she has pioneered the study, production and curation of the World’s largest portfolio of cyanotoxins made available to the global scientific community through industrial collaboration with Enzo Life Sciences. This expertise, along with bespoke provision for algal culturing (>1200 L), downstream processing, purification (mass guided prep chromatography) and characterisation of biotoxins (LC-MS) at RGU underpin the delivery of this project and has led to RCUK funding (EP/P029280/1), KTP, BBSRC and IBioIC funding. Professor Edwards has extensive experience in method development for trace analysis of biotoxins in complex sample matrices (water, animal/fish tissues and cells) and) pioneered the benchmark method for microcystin analysis (>700 citations).
Additional Information / Media work / Funding
Management Committee (MC) member COST Action CA18238 Ocean4Biotech
- Isolation of high value bioactive compounds (Enzo Life Sciences, USA)
- In-reservoir destruction of Blue-Green Algae and their toxins (EPSRC-GCRF)
- Safe and sustainable shellfish (BBSRC/NERC)
- Valorisation of algal material (KTP)
- A scalable bio-based solution to eliminate cyanotoxins in drinking water (BBSRC-GCRF)
Current Research Degree Students
- Josh Burns – Exploiting Streptomyces culture isolates.
- Declan Maxwell – Determining the internal function of cyanobacterial secondary metabolites.
Professional Body Membership
- Society for Microbiology
- Society for Applied Microbiology
- Royal Society of Chemistry
1.GB Savic, C Edwards, E Briand, LA Lawton, C Wiegand and M Bormans. (2019) Daphnia magna Exudates Impact Physiological and Metabolic Changes in Microcystis aeruginosa, Toxins 11, 421.
2.M G Antoniou, I Boraei, M Solakidou, Y Deligiannakis, M Abhishek, LA Lawton and C Edwards. (2018) Enhancing photocatalytic degradation of the cyanotoxin microcystin-LR with the addition of sulfate-radical generating oxidants, Journal of Hazardous Materials 360, 461-470.
3.J Pandhal, A Siswanto, D Kuvshinov, W B Zimmerman, LA Lawton and C Edwards. (2018) Cell lysis and detoxification of cyanotoxins using a novel combination of microbubble generation and plasma microreactor technology for ozonation, Frontiers in Microbiology 9, 678.
4.H Mazur-Marzec, A Fidor, M Ceg?owska, E Wieczerzak, M Kropid?owska, M Goua, J Macaskill and C Edwards. (2018) Cyanopeptolins with Trypsin and Chymotrypsin Inhibitory Activity from the Cyanobacterium Nostoc edaphicum CCNP141. Marine Drugs, 16, 220; doi:10.3390/md16070220.
5.AD Turner, J Waack, A Lewis, C Edwards and LA Lawton. (2018) Development and single-laboratory validation of a UHPLC-MS/MS method for quantitation of microcystins and nodularin in natural water, cyanobacteria, shellfish and algal supplement tablet powders, Journal of Chromatography B. 1074, 111-123.
6.E Photos-Jones, C Edwards, F Häner, L Lawton, C Keane, A Leanord and V Perdikatsis. (2017) Archaeological medicinal earths as antibacterial agents: the case of the Basel Lemnian sphragides, Geological Society, London, Special Publications 452, SP452. 6.
7.C Edwards, C McKenzie, CJ Pestana, K Yates and LA Lawton. (2017) Rapid Analysis of Geosmin and 2?Methylisoborneol from Aqueous Samples Using Solid?Phase Extraction and GC?MS, Handbook of Cyanobacterial Monitoring and Cyanotoxin Analysis, 475-480.
8.S Hameed, LA Lawton, C Edwards, A Khan, U Farooq and FA Khan. (2017) Effects of temperature and salinity on the production of cell biomass, chlorophyll-a and intra-and extracellular nodularins (NOD) and nodulopeptin 901 produced by by Nodularia spumigena KAC 66, Journal of Applied Phycology, 1-10.
9.E Lance, J Desprat, BF Holbech, C Gérard, M Bormans, LA Lawton, C Edwards and C Wiegand. (2017) Accumulation and detoxication responses of the gastropod Lymnaea stagnalis to single and combined exposures to natural (cyanobacteria) and anthropogenic (the herbicide RoundUp® Flash) stressors (2016) Aquatic Toxicology 177, 116-124.
10.M Delgado?Baquerizo, L Giaramida, PB Reich, AN Khachane, K Hamonts, C Edwards, LA Lawton and BK Singh. (2016) Lack of functional redundancy in the relationship between microbial diversity and ecosystem functioning, Journal of Ecology 104 (4), 936-946 277-285.
11. EJ Faassen, MG Antoniou, W Beekman-Lukassen, L Blahova, E Chernova, C Christophoridis, A Combes, C Edwards, J Fastner, J Harmsen, A Hiskia, LL Ilag, T Kaloudis, S Lopicic, M Lürling, H Mazur-Marzec, J Meriluoto, C Porojan, Y Viner-Mozzini and N Zguna. (2016) A Collaborative Evaluation of LC-MS/MS Based Methods for BMAA Analysis: Soluble Bound BMAA Found To Be an Important Fraction. Marine Drugs. 14(3) 45.
12.CJ Pestana, C Edwards, R Prabhu, PKJ Robertson and LA Lawton. (2015) Photocatalytic degradation of eleven microcystin variants and nodularin by TiO 2 coated glass microspheres, Journal of hazardous materials 300, 347-353.
32.M Khurram, LA Lawton, C Edwards, M Iriti, A Hameed, MA Khan and FA Khan. (2014) Rapid Bioassay-Guided Isolation of Antibacterial Clerodane Type Diterpenoid from Dodonaea viscosa (L.) Jaeq., International journal of molecular sciences 16 (9), 20290-20307.
14.CJ Pestana, PKJ Robertson, C Edwards, W Wilhelm, C McKenzie and LA Lawton. (2014) A continuous flow packed bed photocatalytic reactor for the destruction of 2-methylisoborneol and geosmin utilising pelletised TiO2. Chemical Engineering Journal, 235, 293-298.
15. J Quintana, LM Bayona, L Castellanos, M Puyana, P Camargo, F Aristizábal, C Edwards, JN Tabudrav, M Jaspars and FA Ramos. (2014) Almiramide D, cytotoxic peptide from the marine cyanobacterium Oscillatoria nigroviridis. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 22, 6789–679.
16.L Giaramida, PM Manage, C Edwards, B Singh and LA Lawton. (2013) Bacterial communities’ response to microcystins exposure and nutrient availability: Linking degradation capacity to community structure. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 84, 111-117.
18.LA Lawton, A Welgamage, PM Manage, and C Edwards. (2011) Novel bacterial strains for the removal of microcystins from drinking water. Water Science and Technology, 63, 1137-1142.
19.PM Manage, C Edwards and LA Lawton. (2010) Bacterial degradation of microcystin. Interdisciplinary Studies on Environmental Chemistry – Bacterial responses to contaminants, 97-104.
20.C Edwards and LA Lawton. (2010) Assessment of microcystin purity using charged aerosol detection. Journal of Chromatography A, 1217, 5233–5238.
21.LA Lawton, H Chambers, C Edwards, AA Nwaopara and Healy. (2010) Rapid detection of microcystins in cells and water. Toxicon, 55, 973-978.
22. PM Manage, C Edwards, BK Singh and LA Lawton. (2009) Isolation and Identification of Novel Microcystin-Degrading Bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 75, 6924-6928.
23. PM Manage, C Edwards and LA Lawton. (2009) Biodegradation of microcystin-LR by natural bacterial populations. Interdisciplinary Studies on Environmental Chemistry, 277-285.
24.C Edwards and LA Lawton. (2009) Bioremediation of cyanotoxins. Adv Appl Microbiol., 67,109-29.
25.S Prakash, LA Lawton and C Edwards. (2009) Stability of toxigenic Microcystis Blooms. Harmful Algae, 8, 377-384.
26. R Bajpai, NK Sharma, LA Lawton, C Edwards. and AK Rai. (2009) Microcystin producing cyanobacterium Nostoc sp. BHU001 from a pond in India. Toxicon, 53, 587-590.
27.C Edwards, D Graham, N Fowler and LA Lawton. (2008) Biodegradation of microcystins and nodularin in freshwaters. Chemosphere, 78, 1315-1321.
28. C Edwards and DJ Hunter. (2003) High throughput purification of combinatorial arrays. J. Comb. Chem. 5, No. 1 61-66.
29. C Edwards, K Liu, TJ Smith, D Brooke, DJ Hunter, A Organ and P Coffey. (2003) Parallel preparative high-performance liquid chromatography with on-line mass characterization. Rapid Com. Mass Spec. 17: 2027-2033.
30. LA Lawton and C Edwards. (2001) Purification of Microcystins. J. Chrom. A. 912. 191-209.
31.C Edwards, LA Lawton, SM Coyle. and P Ross. (1996) Laboratory-scale purification of microcystins using flash chromatography and HPLC. J. Chrom. 734. 163-173.
21.LA Lawton, C Edwards and GA Codd. (1994) Extraction and HPLC method for the determination of microcystins in raw and treated waters. Analyst. 119. 1525-1530.
33. C Edwards, KA Beattie, CM Scrimgeour and GA Codd. (1992) Identification of anatoxin-a in benthic cyanobacteria and in associated dog poisonings at Loch Insh, Scotland. Toxicon. 30, No. 10. 1165-1175.
34. GJ Gunn, AG Rafferty, GC Rafferty, N Cockburn, C Edwards, KA Beattie and GA Codd. (1992) Fatal canine neurotoxicosis attributed to blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). Veterinary Record 130, 301-302.
a) Book chapters:
1.Edwards, C., McKenzie C., Pestana, C.J., Yates K. and Lawton, LA. (2017) SOP 28. Rapid Analysis of Geosmin and 2Methylisoborneol from Aqueous Samples Using
Solid-Phase Extraction and GC-MS. In Handbook of Cyanobacterial Monitoring and Cyanotoxin Analysis ed. Jussi Meriluoto, Lisa Spoof and Geoffrey A. Codd.
2. Lawton, L.A. and Edwards, C. (2007) Conventional Laboratory Techniques. In: Proceedings of the Interagency, International Symposium on Cyanobacterial Harmful Algal Blooms
(ISOC-HAB): State-of-theScience and Research Needs. Springer, USA.
3. Codd G.A., Edwards C., Beattie K.A., Lawton L.A., Campbell D.L., Bell S.G. (1995) Toxins from cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) – The Pringsheim lecture. In Algae, environment and
human affairs. Edited by: Wiessner W., Schnepf E., Starr R.C. Bristol: Biopress; 1995:1-17.
4. Edwards, C., Lawton, L.A. and Codd, G.A. (1994). Detection of cyanobacterial (blue-green algal) peptide toxins by protein phosphatase inhibition. In: Detection Methods for
Cyanobacterial Toxins. Eds: G.A. Codd, T.M. Jefferies, C.W. Keevil and E. Potter. Royal Society of Chemistry Special Publication No. 149: 175-180.
5. Lawton, L.A., Edwards, C. and Codd, G.A. (1994). The analysis of microcystins in raw and treated water. Detection Methods for Cyanobacterial Toxins. Eds: G.A. Codd, T.M. Jefferies,
C.W. Keevil and E. Potter. Royal Society of Chemistry Special Publication No. 149: 59-63.
6. Lawton, L.A., Hawser, S.P., Beattie, K.A., Edwards, C. and Codd, G.A. (1991). Occurrence and detection of cyanobacterial toxins. In: International association on water pollution
research and control, Water, Science and Technology, Vol.22, Pergamon Press.