Duties and Responsibilities
- Course Development
PhD (Mechanical Engineering) Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh 2012.
Dr. Ghazi Droubi is a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at the School of Engineering of the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK. He works in the field of material engineering (failure prediction and damage assessment) and flow assurance (multi-phase flow modelling), with focus on condition monitoring and condition-based maintenance. With the current academic roles and associated responsibilities, he is working independently and at the same time establishing collaborative research and teaching programmes. He teaches various modules in BEng/MEng courses at various levels related to Mechanical and Offshore Engineering and supervises interdisciplinary graduate students (taught/research, e.g. MSc, PhD). He completed his PhD degree (Mechanical Engineering) in 2012 from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh through research on 'Acoustic Emission Monitoring due to Solid particle Impacts' under the joint supervision of Prof. Bob Reuben, and Prof. Graeme White. He has experience in several industrial consultancies and funded projects.
Dr. Droubi has experience in multidisciplinary research in the following areas:
- Instrumented mechanical testing of material and characterisation
- Smart monitoring and inspection for structural health monitoring (AE, UT and vibration techniques)
- Erosion-corrosion monitoring and integrity management
- Flow assurance including multi-phase flow modelling, metering and sand management
- Design, performance and optimization (horizontal axis wind turbines and floating offshore wind turbines)
- Modelling and simulation (MATLAB, FEA, CFD, Orcaflex)
Examples of Recent Projects
- Acoustic emission monitoring, funded by SMS Oilfield Ltd in collaboration with the Centre of Excellence for Sensor and Imaging Systems (CENSIS), contract research, £9500 [April 2016].
- Damping solution for small bore pipework, funded by Xi Engineering in collaboration with the Oil and Gas Innovative Centre (OGIC), contract research, £ 11k [February 2017].
- FHEA, The Higher Education Academy, UK
- CEng MIMechE, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, UK
- MBINDT, The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing, UK
- Full member, European Working Group on Acoustic Emission (EWGAE), Germany
1. Roland Tebowei; Mamdud Hossain; Sheikh Z Islam; M G Droubi; Gbenga Oluyemi, Investigation of Sand Transport in an Undulated Pipe using Computational Fluid Dynamics, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 2018 (in print)
2. M G Droubi; R L Reuben; J I Steel; Flow noise identification using acoustic emission (AE) energy decomposition for sand monitoring in flow pipeline, Journal of Applied Acoustics, 131, (2018), pp. 5-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2017.10.016
3. M G Droubi , J Mcafee, R C Horne, S Walker, C Klaassen, A Crawford, A K Prathuru and N H Faisal*; Mixed-mode fracture characteristics of metal-to-metal adhesively bonded joints: experimental and simulation methods, Procedia Structural Integrity 5 (2017) pp. 40-47.
4. Craig Stout, Sheikh Islam, Morven Shaw, M G Droubi; Efficiency Improvement of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines with un Upstream Deflector, Energy Procedia, 118, 2017 pp. 141-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.07.032
5. M G Droubi, Nadimul H. Faisal, Fraser Orr, John A. Steel, Mohamed El-Shaib, Acoustic emission method for defect detection and identification in carbon steel welded joints , Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 134, (2017) 28–37.
6. M G Droubi, Nadimul Faisal, John Mowat, Craig Noble, Alan Stuart, Anil Prathuru; Acoustic emission method to study fracture (Mode-I, II) and residual strength characteristics in composite-to-metal and metal-to-metal adhesively bonded joints. The Journal of Adhesion, 2017,pp.1-40
7. Nadimul Faisal, Rehan Ahmed, M G Droubi; Cyclic Nano indentation and Nano-impact fatigue mechanisms of functionally graded TiN/TiNi film. Shape Memory and Super elasticity, 2017, 3 (2), 149-167
Teaching / Supervision / Administartion Duties
- Thermo-fluids 1 (First year)
- Thermo-fluids 2 (Second year)
- Mechanical Engineering Design using CAD packages (Second year)
- Industrial Plant (Third year)
- System Engineering and Condition Monitoring (Fourth year)
- Engineering Analysis FEA (Fourth year)
- Advanced Thermo-fluids, numerical analysis using CFD (Master level)
- Honours and MEng Individual Project
- Integrative Engineering Project
- Industrial placement projects
- MEng Group Projects
- MSc Projects
- PhD studies
- Module coordinator
- Year 5 tutor
- Year 1 personal tutor
- Internal moderator
- Member of Undergraduate course management team
- Member of Staff-Student liaison committee
- Member of Undergraduate marketing team
- Course development leader (GLAs in Design and Manufacturing)
Editorial and Reviewer / Invited Talks
Editorial and Reviewer
- Editorial board member of “International Journal of diagnostics and material characterization” and “Turkish Journal of Engineering (TUJE)".
- Conference session chair of the 13th International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization, November15-18, 2015, Doha, Qatar
- Conference session chair of the 9th International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ICCFD9), July 11-15, 2016, Istanbul, Turkey
- Invited speaker and technical chair for the International Conference on fluid dynamics ICFD 2016, April 25-26, 2016, Dubai, UAE.
- Journal Reviewer: Experimental Mechanics; Sandwich Structures; Advances in Acoustics and Vibration; Multi-phase Flow.
- Application of Acoustic Emission to detect Corrosion, 31st January, 2017, ICorr Aberdeen Branch, Aberdeen, UK
- UK-Turkey researcher link conference on “Intelligent Infrastructures for Sustainable and Resilient Future Energy Systems”, 24-27 May 2017, Istanbul, Turkey
- UK-Mexico researcher link conference on “Multiphase flow monitoring and measurements”, 21-25 January 2017, Queretaro, Mexico
- UK-China researcher link conference on “performance of wind turbine in cold condition”, 14-18 August 2016, Mianyang, China