Duties and Responsibilities
Research Degree Coordinator.
Supervision & Examination of PhD students.
Supervision of Work Placement students.
Supervision of Interns.
Research Seminar Coordinator – have organized & hosted over 70 seminars since 2010, see the following site for a complete list of forthcoming and previous seminars Dr. Doolan’s Research Seminars Website. A number of these seminars were recorded and uploaded to the Schools Vimeo Channel, prior to the removal of the 15 minute YouTube limit.
Supervising BSc/MSc projects - have supervised well over 100 projects, a list of students and project titles are available on Dr. Doolan’s Website (Project Supervision Page).
Established the Schools Computer Society that ran from 2009 to 2014 & maintained the wordpress site. He also created a Youtube Channel for the Society giving some insight into the types of activities undertaken. At a 24 Hour Hackathon in April 2015 there was some interest shown by a number of students to reinstate the society for the forthcoming 2015/16 Academic year – so watch this space.
Has been maintaining the Schools Linkedin Alumni Group since 2011. If you are an Alumnus of the School of Computing Science & Digital Media / School of Computing, Robert Gordon University then do feel free to join the group. Do make sure that your Linkedin profile details the degree you undertook at the School.
Has spearheaded the creation of the Schools YouTube Channel, the vast majority of the videos have been recorded and edited by Dr. Doolan demonstrating Outreach Activities centered around iPad programming. Many of the other videos to be seen are of students coursework or projects which he supervised.
Director of Studies & Course Leader for the 5 year BSc (Hons) Computer Science programme 2012-2015.
External Examiner MSc Cloud Computing, MSc Web Technologies, National College of Ireland 2012-2016.
Presently lecturing on the following modules:
- CM2012 2D Animation
- CM2540 Programming Embedded Devices
- CM3056 Interactive Multimedia
- CM4020 Audio and Video Production
- CM4028 Digital Compositing Techniques
Further detail of teaching past and present available on Dr. Doolan’s Website (Modules Taught Page)
Participation at the following Committees:
- Faculty Graduate Board
- University Research Degrees Committee
- Staff Student Liaison Committee
- Teaching Committee
- School Academic Board
- Undergraduate Program Management Team
- School Recruitment Group
Dr. Doolan has been working in the HE sector for well over a decade and has published over 45 research articles in conferences, journals and books. He holds a PhD in Computer Science focused on the area of Mobile Computer Graphics and the application of Parallel Computing to the mobile domain. Dr. Doolan’s master's research examined the use of fractal technologies for 2D-4D image generation, compression and encryption. Much of his primary degree in computing centered on distributed systems.
His PhD & Master's was undertaken at University College Cork, Ireland known throughout the world for the pivotal work of Professor George Boole, the “father of the information age” upon which the entire worlds computing hardware and software is based. Visit georgeboole.com to find out more about Professor George Boole and the 2015 celebration of his bicentenary. If you have an interest in the history of computing then you may enjoy and perhaps wish to contribute to Dr. Doolan’s Blog post titled “Key People and Events in Computer Science – Date to Celebrate”.
Main research interest is mobile computing, graphics and multimodal interaction, collaboration context awareness and the sensing of the surrounding environment. If you are interested in undertaking PhD level research in these areas then do get in touch.
External / Professional Roles
- British Computer Society (MBCS)
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (MIEEE)
- International Association for Pattern Recognition (MIAPR)
- Irish Pattern Recognition and Classification Society (MIPRCS)
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- S. Bashir, D. Doolan, A. Petrovski, (2015). ClusterNN: A Hybrid Classification Approach to Mobile Activity Recognition (to appear)
- S. Bashir, D. Doolan, A. Petrovski, (2015). The Impact of Feature Vector Length on Activity Recognition Accuracy, International Conference of Data Mining and Knowledge Engineering, London, UK
- M. Leon, D. Doolan, R. Laing, R. Malins, S. Huda, (2015). Development of a Computational Design Application for Interactive Surfaces, 9th International Conference Visualisation in Built and Rural Environments, 21-24 July 2015, Barcelona, Spain
- M. Leon, D. Doolan, R. Laing, R. Malins, S. Huda, (2015). Application of Interactive Surfaces to Support Computer Mediated Collaborative Design Environment, 8th International Conference Visualisation in Built and Rural Environments, 11-18 July 2014, Paris France
- N. Intan, D. Rohaya, D. Doolan (2013). Interaction Experiences in Mobile Augmented Reality, International Conference on Interactive Digital Media (ICIDM13), Sarawak, Malaysia.
- N. Capanni, D. Doolan, (2011). Mapping Current Teaching and Learning Practices to Multi-user Virtual Environments, Multi-User Virtual Environments for the Classroom: Practical Approaches to Teaching in Virtual Worlds, Idea Group Publishing
- E. Elyan, D. Doolan, (2011). Processing and Recognising Faces in 3D Images, Face Recognition / Book 2, Intech Publishing
- D. Doolan, T. Mehigan, S. Tabirca, I. Pitt. (2010). Cross Platform mLearning for the Classroom of Tomorrow, Multiplatform E-Learning Systems and Technologies: Mobile Devices for Ubiquitous ICT-Based Education, Idea Group Publishing
- D. Grigoras, D. Doolan, C. Sreenan. (2009). Scalability of Mobile Ad-hoc Networks and Applications, Handbook of Research on Scalable Computing Technologies, Idea Group Publishing
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2009). Parallel Computing on a Mobile Device with the Mobile Message Passing Interface (MMPI), Handbook of Research on Mobile Multimedia 2nd Edition, Idea Group Publishing
- D .Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2009). Unlocking the Hidden Power of the Mobile, Handbook of Research on Mobile Multimedia 2nd Edition, Idea Group Publishing
- D. Doolan, K. Duggan, S. Tabirca, L.T. Yang. (2009). Mobile Gaming: From Single to Multiplayer Bluetooth Gaming, Handbook of Research on Mobile Multimedia 2nd Edition, Idea Group Publishing
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2008). Fault Tolerance in the Mobile Environment, Journal of Mobile Multimedia
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2008). Mobile Multimedia for Multiuser Environments, Journal of Mobile Multimedia, Vol 4 (1) pp 42-58
- B. Donegan, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2008). Mobile Message Passing using a Scatternet Framework, International Journal of Computers Communication & Control, Vol 3 (1), pp 51-59
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2008) MMPI a Message Passing Interface for the Mobile Environment, International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing & Multimedia, Linz, Austria
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2008). Examination of Fault Tolerance in MMPI, International Conference on Computers Communications and Control, Baile Felix Spa - Oradea, Romania
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2007) Mobile Phones: The Portable Pocket Computer, International Journal of Computer Research, Nova Publishers, ISSN 1535-6698, Volume 14, Number 1/2, pp 159-177
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, C. O'Sullivan. (2007). Virtual Science Lab (VSL) An Educational Web Application for Demonstrating Science Experiments, "Lucian Blaga" University of Sibiu, "Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis" Journal, pp 85-89
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, C. O'Sullivan. (2007). Understanding Science Experiments through the Medium of Video and Data Visualisation, "Lucian Blaga" University of Sibiu, "Acta Universitatis Cibiniensis" Journal, pp 49-53
- Y. Chen, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, M. Tangney, R. Bocu. (2007). Synthetic Imaging for 3D Bacterial Representation, 8th Irish Workshop on Computer Graphics (Eurographics), Dublin, Ireland, pp. 41 - 45
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2007). Mobile Parallel Graphics, 8th Irish Workshop on Computer Graphics (Eurographics), Dublin, Ireland, pp. 35 - 40
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2007). Multiuser Mobile Multimedia, IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia 2007 (ISM2007), Taichung, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2007). 49th International Symposium ELMAR-2007 focused on Mobile Multimedia, Zadar, Croatia
- K. Duggan, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L.T. Yang. (2007). Single to Multiplayer Bluetooth Gaming Framework, 6th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC), Hagenberg, Austria, pp 343-349
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2007). Bluetooth Gaming with the Mobile Message Passing Interface (MMPI), The 1st Joint Workshop on Wireless Ubiquitous Computing (WUC 2007), Funchal, Madeira - Portugal, pp 74-85
- T. Mehigan, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2007). Bluetooth mLearning Applications for the Classroom of the Future, EdTech 2007, Eight Annual Irish Educational Technology Users Conference, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland
- S. Tabirca, T. Mehigan, D. Doolan. (2007). Pedagogical Applications of Bluetooth Enabled Devices, The 3rd International Scientific Conference ELSE "E-Learning and Software for Education", Bucharest, Romania
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T.Yang (2006) Mobile Fractal Generation, Chapter XXVII in Handbook of Research on Mobile Multimedia, Idea Group Publishing, ISBN 1-59140-866-0, pp 399-412
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, L. T. Yang. (2006). Limited Resource Computing, in Mobile Multimedia: Communication Engineering Perspective, Nova Publishers, ISBN 1-60021-207-7, pp 217-234
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). MMPI making Maths in the Classroom Fun, INFORMATION AN International Interdisciplinary Journal (published in English, Japanese and Chinese), Vol 9 (6), pp 807-812
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). Visualising Infinity on a Mobile Device, International Journal of Computers, Communications & Control (IJCCC), Volume 1, Number 1, pp 9-15
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). A Bluetooth MPI Framework for Collaborative Computer Graphics, The 2006 International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing and Applications (SIPA 2006), Sorrento, Italy, pp 561-572
- Y. Chen, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). Cancer Visualisations using Java3D Technology, 7th Irish Workshop on Computer Graphics (Eurographics), Dublin, Ireland, pp 13-18
- W. Hodnett, D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). The Next Generation eCard, 7th Irish Workshop on Computer Graphics (Eurographics), Dublin, Ireland, pp 51-56
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). Synthetic Image Generation with Primes, Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference, Dublin City University, pp 92-99
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). MMPI A Collaborative Framework for Wireless Devices, eProceedings, Last Mile Wireless Workshop, University College Dublin, Ireland
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). MMPI making Maths in the Classroom Fun, Fourth Irish Conference on the Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science and Information Technology'06 MFCSIT'06, University College Cork, pp 104-107
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2006). Mobile Parallel Programming, 5th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing (ISPDC06) , Timisoara, Romania, pp 161-167
- J. Cronin, D. Doolan, X. Dai. (2006). Image Archiving of the Honan Chapel Website, Digitisation Seminar, University College Cork
- N.Purcell, S. Tabirca, D. Doolan. (2006). Parallel Video Processing, International Conference on Computers Communications and Control, Baile Felix Spa - Oradea, Romania, pp 393-398
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, C. O'Sullivan. (2006). Virtual Science Lab (VSL) An Educational Tool for Demonstrating Science Experiments, 5th RoEduNet International Conference, Sibiu, Romania, pp 77-81
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca . (2005). Distributed Fractal Generation Across a Piconet, Proceedings of Sigrad05-Mobile Computer Graphics Conference, Lund, Sweden, pp. 63-68
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca, D. Murphy. (2005). Applying mpiJava to Fractal Image Compression, Proceedings of the Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing, Belfast, pp 167-174
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca. (2005). Interactive Teaching Tool to Visualise Fractals on Mobile Devices, Proceedings of the 6th Irish Workshop on Computer Graphics (Eurographics), pp 7-12
- D. Doolan, S. Tabirca and D.Murphy. (2004). 3D Prime Number Fractals, Proceedings of the 2004 EG Irish Chapter, Cork, Ireland, pp 55-63
- D. Doolan, (2008). Mobile Computer Graphics, University College Cork, Ireland
- D. Doolan, (2005). FractalMedia: The Application of Fractals to Multimedia, University College Cork, Ireland
He has written regularly about computing & his teaching – a summary of which is available on Dr. Doolan’s Website (University Related Posts page)