|Position:||Academic Strategic Lead (Electronic & Electrical Engineering) / Research - Instrumentation & Sensors|
Key duties and Responsibilities
Teaching, research and knowledge transfer.
- PhD in HF Channel Propagation Characterisation – Conferred by the University of Ulster (2000), Jordanstown, N Ireland.
- BEng Hons Electronic Systems (1st Class) with the Diploma in Industrial Studies (Commendation) – Conferred by the University of Ulster (1996), Jordanstown, N Ireland.
Research and Consultancy Interests
- Radio Frequency and wireless system design.
- Radio wave propagation studies.
- Telemetry and telecontrol/telecommand systems.
- Analogue design.
- Microcontroller, embedded and sensor communication systems.
- Analogue design.
- Radio Frequency design at IC and printed circuit board level.
- Radio Frequency propagation.
- Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools.
- Digital & Data Communications.
Knowledge Transfer and Grants
- Nuffield Foundation - Awards to Newly Appointed Lecturers in Science, Engineering and Mathematics: "Development and characterisation of silicon implemented wide-band circuits and architectures for deployment in future generation Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits".
- Invest NI - Manufacturing Technology Partnership project: "Design of a wireless product for remote listening of environmental sounds".
- Invest NI - Manufacturing Technology Partnership project. "Design of a sleep alarm device".
- Intertrade Ireland - FUSION project. "Design of a bespoke on-line furniture ordering system". Rossmore Furniture, Monaghan, Ireland.
- Intertrade Ireland - FUSION project. "Design of a small active RF wideband antenna used for machine to machine (M2M) communications". Taoglas, Enniscorthy, Ireland.
- Project Engineer with Parthus Technologies PLC, Ireland. During the 3 years with the company Sam worked in the Radio Frequency Group on the design, development and physical realisation of sub-micron CMOS architectures and circuits for radio frequency integrated circuits (RFICs).
- Research assistant in NIBEC, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, N Ireland. Over this short term contract (3 months) Sam worked on the study and design of blood velocity sensors, incorporating the practical development of signal processing hardware and data acquisition software.
- Industrial placement with Northern Ireland Electricity. During this year Sam worked in the engineering team responsible for the daily operational running and continual upgrading of the HV & LV supply distribution network in Belfast city.
- Technical services in Tayto (NI). Sam completed a 5 year industrial (electrical &mechanical) technical traineeship working with a wide range of applied electrical, electronic, process control and mechatronic systems in an automated environment.
Professional Body Membership
- MIEEE – Member, Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers, USA.
- External examiner for the Department of Electronic, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at the Institute of Technology Carlow (Ireland).Publication reviewer for the IET.
- A D Ball, N E Evans, S J Burgess & W G Scanlon, "Head-SAR dependence on spectacle frame shape for operator of 450 MHz personal radio," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, Issue 20, Sept. 2007, pp. 1063–1065.
- S J Burgess, N E Evans & J B Burns, "The Measurement of Pulse Arrival Variation in a Short Range HF channel using TV-Broadcast Time Referencing", URSI Radio Science Bulletin, No 299, Dec. 2001, pp 7-12.
- S J Burgess & N E Evans, "Short-haul communications using NVIS HF radio", IEE Electronics and Communication Engineering Journal, Vol. 11, No 2, Apr. 1999, pp 95-104.
- A D Ball, N E Evans, W G Scanlon, S J Burgess & J McLaughlin, "Coupling to spectacle frames from a 450 MHz Personal Radio source operating anteriorly to the head", Proc 4th International Workshop on Biological Effects of Electromagnetic Fields, Crete, Greece, Oct. 2006, pp. 266-275.
- S J Burgess & G Trombino, "A Low Cost UWB Generator with Integral Bi-Phase Switching Modulator", Proc Royal Irish Academy Colloquium on Physical Layer Wireless Communications, Dublin, Ireland, Apr. 2006, pp. 86-93.
- S J Burgess & G Trombino, "A Low Cost Microstrip UWB Pulse Generator with Integral Bi-Phase Switching Modulation", Proc IET Ultra Wideband Systems, Technologies and Applications Seminar, London, UK, Apr. 2006, pp. 201-205.
- A D Ball, N E Evans, S Troulis, W G Scanlon & S J Burgess, "RF Interference (RFI) between UHF Personal Radios and Biomedical Monitoring Sensors", Proc IEE Seminar on Telemetry and Telematics, London, UK, Apr. 2005, pp. 21-27.
- S J Burgess & N E Evans, "Measurement and Characterisation of Pulse Arrival Times in a Mid-latitude NVIS Channel", Proc XXVI URSI General Assembly, Toronto, Canada, Aug. 1999, pp. 726.
- S J Burgess & N E Evans, "Characteristics of a Mid-latitude NVIS HF Radio Channel", Proc IEE National Conference on Antennas and Propagation, York, UK, Apr. 1999, IEE Conf. Pub. No. 461, pp. 101-4.
- S J Burgess & N E Evans, "Measurement and Characterisation of Pulse Dispersion in an NVIS Channel", Proc UK National URSI Symposium, York, UK, Mar. 1999, pp. 8.
- S J Burgess & N E Evans, "NVIS HF radio linking for BLOS telemetry systems", Proc Medical and Engineering Physics Conference, St Andrews, Scotland, Aug. 1998, pp. 23.
S J Burgess, "An Investigation of the Propagation Characteristics of a Single Frequency Mid-latitude NVIS Channel", University of Ulster, Jordanstown, N Ireland, June 2000.