|Position:||Reader in Law|
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263420|
Duties and Responsibilities
Dr Paul Arnell is a Reader in Law. He is also module leader for Public International Law, Legal Systems, Human Rights and Constitutional Law.
Area of Expertise
- Public international law
- International criminal law & extradition
- Constitutional law
- Human rights law
Paul is a member of the Governance and Society theme research group within Aberdeen Business School. His own research interests are in public international law, particularly in international criminal law, extradition, jurisdiction and human rights.
Interested in supervising PhDs in the areas of;
- Managing concurrent criminal jurisdiction. A critical analysis of the attempts to address concurrent criminal jurisdiction internationally.
- public international law, extradition, jurisdiction and human rights.
- Law Across Borders: The Extraterritorial Application of United Kingdom Law, Routledge, 2012.
- Extradition and the Right to a Fair Trial – Uneasy Bedfellows, in progress.
- The Legality and Propriety of the Trials of Abu Hamza, (2016) 4(2) Bergen Journal of Criminal Law & Criminal Justice 196.
- The Effect of the Bribery Act 2010,  2 Juridical Review 167, with N. Evans.
- The European Human Rights Influence upon United Kingdom Extradition – Myth Debunked, (2013) 21 European Journal of Crime, Criminal Law and Criminal Justice 317.
- United Kingdom Compliance with International Law - Corruption and BAE Systems, with D. Quiroz-Onate, (2010) 3 International Journal of Liability and Scientific Enquiry 183.
- Hackers Beware – The Cautionary Story of Gary McKinnon, with A. Reid, (2009) 18 Information and Communications Technology Law 1.
- Scots Extradited,  Juridical Review 241.
- Human Rights Abroad, (2007) 16(2) Nottingham Law Journal 1.
- Extraterritorial Human Rights: A Tool for Poverty Reduction, (2005) 38(3) Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa 396.
- Male Captus Bene Detentus in Scotland,  Juridical Review 252.
- Muddy Waters: Legislative Competence and the International Criminal Court in Scotland, (2002) 2 Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal 281.
- The Case for Nationality Based Jurisdiction, (2001) 50 International and Comparative Law Quarterly 955.
- The Proper Law of the Crime in International Law Revisited, (2000) 9(1) Nottingham Law Journal 39.
- Criminal Jurisdiction in International Law,  Juridical Review 179.
- International Criminal Law and Universal Jurisdiction, (1999) 11 International Legal Perspectives 53.
- War Crimes - A Comparative Opportunity, (1996) 13 (3) International Relations 29.
Professional Journal Articles
- The Wheels of Justice in Extradition (2017) 26 Scots Law Times 143. The Continuing Tension between Human Rights and Extradition, (2016) 40 Scots Law Times 211.
- The Migrant Crisis and Refugee Law in Scotland, (2016) 466 SCOLAG 152, with O. Lewis.
- Challenges to Prosecutorial Discretion, (2016) 21 Scots Law Times 113, with L. Sharp.
- Lessons from the Case of Abu Hamza, (2015) 179(35) Criminal Law and Justice Weekly 709.
- Developments in Extradition Law and Practice, (2015) 17 Scots Law Times 73.
- Extradition, the Forum Bar and Transnational Drug Trafficking, (2014) 178(42) Criminal Law and Justice Weekly 623.
- Extradition and Systemic Corruption in Albania, (2014) 17 Scots Law Times 74.
- Extradition Between Friends, (2014) 178(24) Criminal Law and Justice Weekly 361.
- The International Co-operation Unit of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, (2014) 439 Scottish Legal Action Group Journal 96.
- The Bribery Act 2010 in Scotland, (2013) 81(4) Scottish Law Gazette 93, with Nicola Evans.
- Extradition and the Right to a Fair Trial, (2013) 36 Scots Law Times 247.
- Human Trafficking in Scotland – the Legislative Response, (2013) 430 Scottish Legal Action Group Journal 164, with Tracy Ogilvie.
- The Forum Bar to Extradition, (2013) Scots Law Times 169.
- The Law of Extradition - the Response to the Baker Review, (2012) 40 Scots Law Times 251.
- Extradition and the Best Interests of Children, (2012) 27 Scots Law Times 157.
- The Law of Extradition, (2012) 3 Scots Law Times 13.
- Extradition from Scotland, (2010) 34 Scots Law Times 187.
- The New Crimes of Bribery in Scotland, (2010) 78 Scottish Law Gazette 42.
- The Dangers of Computer Mis-use, (2010) 1 Crest Hill Business Law Journal 120.
- The Crime of Bribery in Scotland (2009) 1 Scots Law Times 1.
- Piracy – The Old and the New, (2009) 375 Scottish Legal Action Group Journal 12.
- The Long Arm of United Kingdom Law, (2008) 21 Scots Law Times 142.
- Cluster Bomb Prohibition, (2008) 76 Scottish Law Gazette 51.
- The Long Arm of United States Law, (2007) 37 Scots Law Times 267.
- Human Rights Exported, (2005) 73 Scottish Law Gazette 105.
- The Iraq Affair – Legal Issues, (2003) 309 Scottish Legal Action Group Legal Journal 121.
- The International Criminal Court in Scotland: Part Two, (2002) 291 Scottish Legal Action Group Legal Journal 7.
- The International Criminal Court in Scotland: Part One, (2001) 290 Scottish Legal Action Group Legal Journal 216.
- Brexit Threat to Human Rights is Real, The Press and Journal, 8 April 2017.
- UK Legal Split from EU will Take Years, The Press and Journal, 7 April 2017.
- Extradition Overview – Westlaw Insight, 4 December 2015, 27 April 2015, 16 October 2014.
- Submission to House of Lords Select Committee on Extradition, published on Home Office website, October 2014.
- Progress Has Been Made – But Still Some Way to Go, The Scotsman, 29 October 2011.
- Supreme Court Backs Judgement of Scottish Parliament, The Scotsman, 13 October 2011.
- Law as it Stands is Fair and Reasonable, The Scotsman, 2 June 2011.
- Review of the Law of Extradition, submission to the ‘Baker Review’, published on the Home Office website, December 2010.
- Redefining Sovereignty in International Economic Law, Shan, W., Simons, P., and Singh, D., (eds), Hart Publishing, Oxford, 2008, (2008) 7 Journal of International Trade Law and Policy 93. Book Review.
- The United Kingdom Export Credit Guarantee Agency: A Tool Against Corruption in Africa? (2006) Annual International Academy of African Business and Development Proceedings.
- A World Without Walls: Freedom, Development, Free Trade and Global Governance, by Moore, M., (2004) 3 Journal of International Trade, Law and Policy 71. Book review.
- Greening Trade and Investment: Environmental Protection without Protectionism, by Neumayer, E., (2003) 11 Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 111. Book review.
- The Impact of International Trade: Scotland in the World Economy, joint author, Oxfam, autumn 2002. Commissioned report.
- An Introduction to the International Criminal Court, by Schabas, W.A., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2001, (2002) 301 Scottish Legal Action Group Legal Journal 214. Book review.
- US v. Burns, 15 February 2001, (2001) 6(3) Journal of Civil Liberties 245. Case note.
- Her Majesty’s Advocate v. Megrahi and Fhimah, 8 December 1999,  Juridical Review 395. Case note.