|Telephone:||+44-7860816479 / +44-7424208660|
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Arivazhagan_Anbalagan
Dr. A. Arivazhagan is currently a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering at Robert Gordon University. His area of research involves Manufacturing Technology / CAD/ CAM/ CAPP/ CNC machining (5/3 axis – ceramics and metals) / Industry 4.0 / Cyber Physical Integration/ DFMA / FEA for Design & Manufacturing / Software development using C/C++/JAVA/C#.Net/Python/ Cloud & Web based.
Dr. A. Arivazhagan has a manufacturing research background and prior joining RGU he has led various post-doctoral positions in the UK universities. This is on implementing Manufacturing / Machining / CAD/CAM/CAPP automation technologies for industries through academia giving considerable research to business impact in terms of cost & lead time reduction. Those include (i) University of Birmingham (2017-2020) (ii) Queen’s University Belfast (2015-2017) (iii) Nottingham Trent University (2014-2015) and (iv) Coventry University (2013-2014).
With his experience of more than 12+ years he has commendable ‘hands on’ skills in Hardware, Software and ICT technologies which mainly includes operating (i) CNC Machines (Siemens / Heidenhain / Fanuc) (ii) Metrological machines such as CMM (Carl-Zeiss) and Alicona (3D Light based measurement), Microscopes, SEM etc. (iii) CAD/CAM/CAPP usage (NX, Solidworks, AutoCAD, Vericut etc.,) and their software development using C/C++/JAVA/C#.Net/Python.
Dr. A. Arivazhagan is a Six-Sigma Green Belt for Quality (General Electric (GE)) and Chartered Engineer (IMechE, UK) registered with Engineering Council, UK. Also, he is a Member of IMechE, UK / IET, UK. He has high exposure over the Manufacturing / CAD/CAM/CAPP techniques / ICT’s involved in various industrial businesses (Oil & Gas / Aviation) and strong attitude over academic research-based contribution and income generation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Mechanical Engineering Design 3 - EN3101
- Manufacture and Material 3 - EN3102
- Mechanical Engineering Design 1 - EN2703
- Introduction to Design, Materials and Manufacture- EN1701
- Doctor of Philosophy: Mechanical Engineering PhD [CAPP: A STEP based Approach] [2003-2008], IIT Roorkee, India.
- Master of Technology: Mechanical Engineering M.Tech [CAD/CAM] [2001-2003], VIT University, India.
- Bachelor of Engineering: Mechanical Engineering B.E [Mechanical Engineering] [1997-2001], University of Madras, India.
Manufacturing Technology / CAD / CAM / CAPP - Computer Aided Design-Manufacturing-Process Planning / CNC Machining of Free Form surfaces (5/3 axis), Prismatic & Rotational parts (5/3 axis – Ceramics and Metals) / Industry 4.0 / Cyber Physical Integration / Manufacturing Processes / Software Development and Implementation (C/C++/JAVA/Python / Cloud and Web based) / 3D Printing / Feature Recognition & Product data management (PDM) / STEP AP203/214 and STEP NC Automation / DFMA / DFX / FEA analysis / Statistical analysis for Quality Assurance & 6σ / Metrology / Simulation of CAE & Manufacturing systems
- 3 / 3+1 / 3+2 / 5 axis Machining of complicated surfaces by varying lead / lean angles for Steel / Alloys
Manufacturing - Machining Analysis:
- Force Prediction of 5axis FEA Simulation for Machining of Ti-6-Al-4V by Different Lead / Lean Angles (ANSYS based)
Software development and CAD/CAM/CAPP:
- CAD/CAM tool and Software Automation for machining free form irregular contoured walls / surfaces for complicated parts
- A study on semi-automatic modification of CNC programs for interoperability with CAD models
- Hand off access to operate CNC machining in an AGENT based Environment
- Investigation into the effect of build parameters on the strength / support removal for 3D Printed parts.
Recent Projects: 2020 (completed)
Development of Manufacturing / Machining Technologies: Project Name: Manufacturing Portfolio - Funding Agencies: INNOVATE UK; Collaborated Industry: Rolls-Royce.
- Machining Toolpaths for 3+2, 3+1 & 5 axis machining of free form aerospace ceramic parts– using NX/Vericut / DMU DMG Mori / Matsuura - 2017-2020.
- Supported development of methods to produce components targeted at Rolls-Royce’s Engines development program through machined parts using NX/Vericut - 2017-2020.
- CAD/CAM Automation for Toolpath Generation and Feature recognition for Slots – using C#.NET & JAVA (2020) – Proof of Concept. Prototype –2017-2020.
Name of the project: 5 axis STEP-NC (AP-238) machining of free form / irregular contoured surfaces; Role: PI; Funding: INR 1.38 Million (DST, Govt of India, 2010-2013).
- Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng - IMechE-UK)
External / Professional Roles
Active reviewership in international journals:
- International Journal of Production Research - IJPR
- International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture – IMACTOOL
- International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology – IJAMT
- International Journal of Design Engineering (IJDE)
- International Journal of Materials and Product Technology (IJMPT)
Invited Keynote Lectures: (recent)
- Achievements and Challenges of Industry 4.0 in CAD/CAPP/CAM & Manufacturing Systems – What lies ahead? Int Conference on Materials, Manufacturing and Modelling (ICMMM) 2021, VIT, India, 2021.
- Manufacturing systems - A Journey to Implement IoT and Industry 4.0, Int Conference on Materials, Manufacturing and Modelling (ICMMM) 2019, VIT, India, 2019.
International universities / companies/ countries visited on academic engagements:
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK, July 25-27th 2012.
AIMST University, Malaysia, December 5-9th 2012.
University of Patras, Athens, Greece December 10-2013 to December 13-2013.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA, June 08-13th 2014.
Delta Informatica Spa, Trento, Italy, 2016.
ITI Transcendata, Cambridge, UK, 2016.
AIRBUS, Bristol, UK, June 2016.
Rolls-Royce, PCF, Derby, UK, 2017/2018/2019/2020.
Publication List: (doi’s linked are highlighted):
1. A Toolpath algorithm for free form irregular contoured walls / surfaces with intersecting deflecting connections, International Conference on Materials, Manufacturing and Modelling (ICMMM), 2019, India (Presented & Published). March 2019, VIT, INDIA – Available online - May June 2019, Materials today, 2020.
2. Vinod Kumar, Eakambaram A, Arivazhagan A, FEM Analysis to Optimally Design End Mill cutters for Milling of Ti-6Al-4V, 12th Global Congress On Manufacturing And Management, GCMM 2014. December 8-10 2014, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, INDIA.
3. Arivazhagan A, Sheng Wang, Weidong Li, A Cloud Based Feature Recognition System to Support Collaborative and Adaptive Process Planning, 8th ASME-MSEC 2014: Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC2014), June 9-13, 2014, Detroit, Michigan, USA.
4. Arivazhagan. A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, Automated Design and STEP-NC Machining of Impellers Published in MATADOR 2012, July 25-27, 2012, University of Manchester, UK. P.No,57-60.
5. Anbalagan Arivazhagan, Feature Recognition & Tool Path Generation for 5 Axis STEP-NC Machining of Free Form / Irregular Contoured Surfaces. 1235-1237, Annals of DAAAM for 2010 & Proceedings of the 21st International DAAAM Symposium, ISBN 978-3-901509-73-5, ISSN 1726-9679, P.No. 0618, Editor B. Katalinic, Published by DAAAM International, Vienna, AUSTRIA 2010.
6. Anbalagan Arivazhagan, Integration of CAD/ Tool Path Data for 5-Axis STEP-NC Machining of Free Form / Irregular Contoured Surfaces, Annals of DAAAM for 2010 & Proceedings of the 21st International DAAAM Symposium, ISBN 978-3-901509-73-5, ISSN 1726- 9679, P.No 0617, Editor B. Katalinic, Published by DAAAM International, Vienna, AUSTRIA 2010.
7. Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, “A STEP AP 203/214 based Machinable Volume Identifier for Identifying the Finish Cut Machinable Volumes from Rough Machined parts” Published in “International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology” Springer Publishers Ltd. UK. Volume 42, Numbers 9-10 / June, 2009, P.No.850-872, DOI 10.1007/s00170-008-1659-2.
8. Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, “Development of Feature Recognition module for tapered and curved base features” Published in “International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology” 2007, Springer Publishers Ltd. UK. Volume 39, Numbers 3-4 / October, 2008, P.No.319-332, DOI 10.1007/s00170-007-1212-8.
9. Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK,STEP based Finish Machining CAPP System, ICMLPR 2012 : International Conference on Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 72:597-606,December 6-7, 2012, Penang, MALAYSIA
10. Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, “Development of Machining Planning Module inside a Finish Machining CAPP system” in “Int Conference on CAD/CAM Robotics and Factories of Future” July19-22, 2006, INDIA.
11. Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, “Setup Planning for Prismatic Parts having Tapered Cross Sections” Published in “1st Int & 22nd All India Manufacturing Tech and Research Conference”, December 21-23, 2006, INDIA. P.No: 265-270.
Book Chapters: 1
Arivazhagan A, Mehta NK, Jain PK, “STEP-based CAD/CAPP Integration for Finish Machining Operations” in DAAAM International Scientific Book 2010, P.No. 395-412, ISBN 978-3-901509-74-2, ISSN 1726-9687, Editor: B. Katalinic, Publisher DAAAM International Vienna, Austria 2010.
Newspaper: 30, March2019, Daily Thanthi, India