|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 263264|
Lyndsay is a health researcher within the School of Health Sciences and a musculoskeletal physiotherapist. She is also Deputy Director of the Scottish Centre for Evidence-based Multi-Professional Practice: a Joanna Briggs Institute Centre of Excellence, providing training and support for the internationally recognised JBI Comprehensive Systematic Review training programme and leads the Council for Allied Health Professions Research North Scotland hub.
Lyndsay is also a Get a Move on Fellow @GAMONetwork http://getamoveon.ac.uk
Twitter - @lynzalexander
BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
BSc Pure Science (Anatomy)
Duties and Responsibilities
Main research interest is in enabling people to live well across the life span with an emphasis on physical activity. Other research interests also include musculoskeletal research and physiotherapy, especially discogenic back pain.
- Cooper K & Alexander L. (2019) Conducting initial telephone consultations in primary care: a scoping review. International Journal of Evidence Based Healthcare, 2019; 17:S38-S40
- Alexander LA, Cooper K. (2019) Vocational rehabilitation for emergency services personnel: a scoping review. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports [online], Online First. Available from: https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-2017-003747
- Alexander L, Swinton P, Pavlova A, Cooper K. (2019) The effectiveness of multi-factorial and multi-component interventions for the prevention of falls for adults in hospital settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol PROSPERO 2019 CRD42019143208 Available from: https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD42019143208
- Alexander, L, Murdoch F, Doherty A, Ramsay R, Krebs J. (2019) The experience of conservative treatment for people with spinal pain: a qualitative systematic review protocol. PROSPERO 2019 CRD42019124359 Available from: https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD42019124359
- Gibson Smith K, Stewart D, Paudyal V, MacLure K, Quinn F, Kidd L, Alexander L. (2018) Identifying the theoretical components of behaviour change interventions targeting physical activity and diet in remote occupational environments. PROSPERO 2018 CRD42018093669 Available from: http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42018093669
- Alexander L, Reno C, Swinton P. (2018)The effectiveness of shockwave therapy in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis: a quantitative systematic review protocol. PROSPERO 2018 CRD42018098692 Available from http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42018098692
- Alexander LA, Cooper K. (2018) Vocational rehabilitation for emergency services personnel: a scoping review. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports (in press)
- Cooper K, Alexander L. (2018) The Components, skills and training for conducting initial telephone consultations in primary care: a scoping review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 16(5):1126-1134, May 2018.
- Alexander LA, Cooper K. (2018) Vocational rehabilitation for emergency services personnel: a scoping review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 16(1):4-11. Available from https://journals.lww.com/jbisrir/Fulltext/2018/01000/Vocational_rehabilitation_for_emergency_services.2.aspx
- Alexander, LA, Cooper, K, Mitchell D, MacLean C. (2017) The effectiveness of Vocational rehabilitation on work participation for adults with musculoskeletal disorders: an umbrella review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, (In press)
- Mitchell D, Hancock E, Alexander LA. (2016) An investigation of the reliability of the Valpar Joule Functional Capacity evaluation in health adults. Work, 53, pp.337-345
- Alexander L & Cooper K. (2015) Barriers and motivators for physical activity in community dwelling adults: a comprehensive systematic review protocol. The JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 13 (3), 61-78. Available from: http://joannabriggslibrary.org/index.php/jbisrir/issue/view/493
- Alexander LA. (2014) The effect of position on the lumbar intervertebral disc. Available from OpenAir@RGU. [online]. Available from http://openair.rgu.ac.uk
- Cooper K, Alexander LA, Hancock E, Smith FW. (2013) The use of pMRI to evaluate the identification of palpated bony landmarks. Manual Therapy, 18, pp.289-293
- Hedberg K, Alexander LA, Cooper K, Hancock E, Ross J, Smith FW. (2013) Low Back pain: An assessment using positional MRI and MDT. Manual Therapy, 18, pp.169-171
- Cooper L, Alexander LA, Hancock E, Smith FW. (2012) Palpation identification of lumbar spinous processes using positional Magneting Resonance Imaging. Manual Therapy (in press)
- Alexander LA, Hancock E, Cooper K, Wilcock S, Smith FW. (2011) The effect of position on the intervertebral disc. Physiotherapy, 97, pp.eS47
- Alexander LA, Hancock E. Physical activity levels of chronic low back pain patients. Physiotherapy, 97, pp.eS48
- Sutherland AJ, Cooper K, Alexander LA, Nicol M, Smith FW, Scotland TR. (2010) The long term functional and radiological outcome after open reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br), 92B, pp.1096-9
- LA Alexander, E Hancock, I Agouris, FW Smith, A MacSween. The response of the nucleus pulposus of the lumbar intervertebral discs to functionally loaded positions. Spine, 32 (14), pp.1508-1512
- Alexander L & Bisset J. The Police Treatment Centre 2019 "An exploration of a psychological wellbeing programme"
- Hollick R, McLeod A, Alexander L. NHS Grampian Endowment Research Grant 2019 "Integrated Models of Physiotherapy led care Across Community and Specialist Rheumatology Service: IMPACt".
- Alexander L, Mitchell D, Williams H. Bon Accord Care "An evaluation of the impact of the Bon Accord Care staff Wellbeing service and Reablement approach", final report submitted May 2019.
- Cooper K, Hancock E, Morrison S, Alexander L, Littlejohn C, Gilmartin A. Robert Gordon University Pump Priming Grant 2019 "Development of an intervention to enhance mental wellbeing in the farming population".
- Cooper K, Mitchellhill F, Stephen A, Simpson S, Swinton P, Alexander L. NHS Grampian Endowment Research Grant 2018 "Technologies for falls prevention and detection in the hospital setting: a mixed method synthesis of the evidence to inform best practice".
- LA Alexander, K Cooper, D Mitchell, H Williams. An evaluation of the benefits of vocational rehabilitation within the Northern UK Police Forces - Final report submitted to Police Treatment Centres January 2017.
- LA Alexander & D Mitchell. Supporting an Enablement approach/philosophy in independent and 3rd Sector Organisations - Mid-way project report submitted to Scottish Care & Aberdeen City Council. 2015.
- LA Alexander. RGU staff Physical Activity & Wellbeing survey - final report, 2015.
- LA Alexander & K Cooper. Barriers and Motivators to physical activity in community dwelling adults. Final report submitted to Aberdeen City Council and NHS Grampian, 2014.
- LA Alexander. RGU student Physical Activity & Wellbeing survey - final report, 2014.
- LA Alexander. Convener, School Research Review Group (Ethics). School of Health Sciences, 2013 - 2016, Robert Gordon University Aberdeen.
- LA Alexander. Health behaviours of Scottish Allied Health Professionals and Health Promotion - service evaluation, 2013.
- K Cooper & LA Alexander. An exporation of initial physiotherapy assessments in musculoskeletal outpatients, 2011. Final report submitted to NHS Grampian Endowments.
- LA Alexander. NHS Education for Scotland (NES) Career Fellowship Scheme consultancy (Project: Market analysis of the need for an HND/DipHE level training course for AHP Assistance Practitioners in NHS Scotland, 2011.
- LA Alexander. The Grampian Cardiac Rehabilitation Association Phase IV Evaluation, 2010, Final report submitted to GCRA committee.
- FE Roberts & LA Alexander. An investigation in to the effect of respiratory muscle training on community dwelling people with idiopathic Parkinson's Disease - a pilot study, 2008.
- LA Alexander. Back pain and Physical Activity. Final report submitted to management group, 2007, Health Living Centre, Moray.
- LA Alexander. Member of School Research Review Group. School of Health Sciences, 2003 - date, Robert Gordon University Aberdeen.
- E Crothers, E Hancock & LA Alexander. A randomised controlled trial of a cueing device to enhance patient compliance to program of pelvic floor exercises. Final report submitted to NHS Grampian endowments, 2002.