|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262578|
Her key research interests include Antimicrobial stewardship, Nonmedical prescribing and qualitative research methods.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lecturer at the School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
- Module Co-ordinator for various undergraduate and postgraduate modules
- Member of the School Research Committee
- BPharm (Hons), University of Malta, Malta, 1994
- MSc, Clinical Pharmacy, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, 2002
- PgCert, Research Methods (Distinction), RGU, Aberdeen, 2007
- PhD, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, 2011
Dr Tonna's key research interests include:
- Antimicrobial stewardship and programmes aimed to ensure prudent and appropriate use of antimicrobials
- Nonmedical prescribing particularly pharmacy prescribing
- Use of qualitative methods as a way of exploring individual's views and perceptions in areas where there is limited evidence.
- Tonna AP (PI), Stewart D, Paudyal V, McKay-Forbes, K, Laing R, Tonna I, McKenzie A, McCartney G, Falconer S. Home self administration of intravenous antibiotics: A qualitative study of the perspectives of those patients attending the Grampian OPAT clinic who choose not to self administer. NHS Endowment Fund. This has been successful with funding commencing in August 2014. (£10,403).
- Prabhu Sathyananda Kirti, Rana Moustafa Mahmoud Ezzat Ahmed, Antonella Tonna, Derek Stewart, Cristin Ryan, Hani Abdel Aziz, Mohsen Saleh Eledrisi, Monica Skarulis Young, Mohamed Izham Mohamed Ibrahim, Ann O-Connor. The effect of migration on the development of MetS in a group of immigrants to Qatar. Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar. (£45,000 over 2018 – 2020).
- Registration with the Pharmacy Council in Malta, 1994
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, Member, 2004
- General Pharmaceutical Council UK, 2010
- Member of the European Society of Clinical Pharmacists (ESCP)
- Member of the UKCPA Surgery and Theatre Pharmacists Group and Infectious Diseases Group
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Faculty of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Member of School Ethics Committee
Full paper, peer reviewed output items published since 2008 include:
- Adawi R, Tonna A, Stewart D, Rayan C, Eledrisi M, Abdelaziz H. Assessment of the impact of pharmacists’ input on the screening, management and prevention of metabolic syndrome. PROSPERO 2018. CRD42018089862. Available from: http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42018089862
- Hashad N, Tonna A, Perumal D, Stewart D. Antimicrobial stewardship program implementation in the Middle East: a systematic review protocol. PROSPERO 2017 CRD42017079597. Available from:
- Tonna AP, Weidmann AEW, Laing RBS, Tonna I, Mcartney G, Paudyal V, Stewart D A qualitative study of determinants of patient behaviour leading to an infection related hospital admission, Journal of Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh, 2017: doi:10.4997/JRCPe.2017.109
- Alqubaisi M, Tonna A, Strath A, Stewart D. Quantifying behavioural determinants relating to health professional reporting of medication errors: a cross-sectional survey using the Theoretical Domains Framework. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology:2016: doi:10.1007/s00228-016-2124-z
- Alqubaisi M, Tonna A, Strath A, Stewart D. Exploring behavioural determinant relating to health professional reporting of medication errors: a qualitative study using the Theoretical Domains Framework. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology: 2016: doi:10.1007/s00228-016-2054-9
- Fleming A, Tonna A, O’Connor S, Byrne S, Stewart D. Antimicrobial stewardship activities in hospitals in Ireland and the United Kingdom: a comparison of two national surveys. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2015;37:776-781. doi:10.1007/s11096-015-0114-3
- Hogan-Murphy D, Tonna A, Strath A, Cunningham S. Healthcare professionals' perceptions of the facilitators and barriers to implementing electronic systems for prescribing, dispensing and administration of medicines in hospitals: a systematic review. European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy 2015. doi:10.1136/ejhpharm-2015-000722
- Fleming A, Tonna A, O'Connor S, Byrne S, Stewart D. Antimicrobial stewardship activities in hospitals in Ireland and the United Kingdom: a comparison of two national surveys. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2015. doi:10.1007/s11096-015-0114-3
- Stewart D, Tonna A, O'Connor S, Byrne S, Fleming A. Antimicrobial stewardship activities in hospitals in Ireland and the United Kingdom: a comparison of two national cross-sectional surveys. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2015: S1:33
- Petrie K., O’Brien C., Bhushan S., Tonna A. Neonatal vancomycin trough level audit using British National Formulary for Children Dosing. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed published online December 17, 2014.
- Al Qubaisi M., Stewart D., Tonna A., Strath A. Health professionals’ beliefs, attitudes and experiences of medication error reporting: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews & Implementation Reports 2014:12(10):109-120.
- Tonna AP, McCaig D, Diack L, West B, Stewart DC. Development of consensus guidance to facilitate service redesign around pharmacist prescribing in hospital practice. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy 2014: doi:10.1007/s11096-014-9996-8
- Tonna AP, Gould IM, Stewart D. A cross-sectional survey of antimicrobial strategies in UK hospitals. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 2014: doi:10.1111/jcpt.12181
- Fleming A, Tonna AP, O’Connor S, Byrne S, Stewart D. A cross-sectional survey of the profile and activities of antimicrobial management teams in Irish Hospitals. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy
- Tonna AP, Edwards RM. Is there a place for qualitative research methods in pharmacy practice? European Journal of Hospital Pharmacy 2012, 20:97-99.
- Tonna AP, Tonna I, Macartney G, Laing R. Management of infection in primary care – a case-based approach. Journal of the Malta College of Pharmacy Practice 2012, 18:18-19.
- Tonna AP, Stewart DC, West B, McCaig DJ. Exploring pharmacists’ perceptions of the feasibility and value of pharmacist prescribing of antimicrobials in secondary care in Scotland. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2010, 18:312-19.
- Tonna AP, Stewart D, McCaig D. An international overview of some pharmacist prescribing models. Journal of the Malta College of Pharmacy Practice, 2008,14: 20 – 26.
- Tonna AP, Stewart D, West B, Gould I, McCaig D. Antimicrobial optimisation in secondary care: the pharmacist as part of a multidisciplinary antimicrobial programme – a literature review. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 2008,31:511-7.
Dr Tonna is mainly involved in teaching topics that are closely linked to hospital pharmacy and include pharmaceutical care and infection. This allows her to draw upon her previous experience as a hospital pharmacist. She is closely involved with the European Association of Hospital Pharmacists, a large European association and regularly delivers workshops and student seminars at the association's annual congress.