|Telephone:||+44 (0) 1224 262581|
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Science at the School of Pharmacy
- Life Sciences Module coordinator
Dr Di Salvo's research interests lie in the area of selective toxicity and anticancer agents. His key research skills include multistep synthesis, asymmetrisation (enzymatic and non-enzymatic), preparative chromatography and structure elucidation by NMR and mass spectrometry. His key research interests include:
- Selective toxicity
- Novel anticancer agents
- Highly cell permeating antimicrobials
- PEGylation of small molecules
- Synthetic nucleosides
- H-bonding by NMR
Dr Di Salvo is currently accepting applications for PhD projects form students interested in the synthesis of novel antiproliferative and antimicrobial agents.
Dr Di Salvo's funded research topics include:
- Highly cell-permeating catechin derivatives, an investigation of the effect of different stereochemistries of the catechins to the antimicrobial activity
- Selective telomerase inhibitors with the aim of targeting tumour cells over healthy cells, reducing the side effects of the drug candidates
- Investigating the PEGylation of low molecular weight aminothiols as organoleptic and solubility enhancers, for the treatment of cystinosis
- Di Salvo, A; Dugois, P; Tandeo, D; Peltekian, M; Lin, (2013) PKT; Synthesis, cytotoxicity and DNA binding of oxoazabenzo[de]anthracenes derivatives in colon cancer Caco-2 cells; EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY, 69, 754-761.
- Omran, Z; Kay, G; Di Salvo, A; Knott, RM; Cairns, D. (2011) PEGylated derivatives of cystamine as enhanced treatments for nephropathic cystinosis; BIOORGANIC & & MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY LETTERS, 21 (1), 45-47.McCaughan, B., Kay, G., Di Salvo, A., P.J., Cairns, D. 2009. Synthesis, characterization, photo-physical evaluation and crystal structure of 2-methoxy-1-methylquinolinium tetrafluoroborate, a potentially selective agent for the quantitative measurement of biologically relevant thiols, Journal of Molecular Structure, Submitted.
- Liu, F., Di Salvo, A., Herdewijn, P. (2008) Synthesis of 2'-Cyclohexenylnucleosides and Corresponding CeNA Building Blocks, Current Protocols in Nucleic Acid Chemistry, June 2008, Volume 1, Unit 1.20.
- Dias, N., Goossens, J-F., Baldeyrou, B., Lansiaux, A., Colson, P., Di Savlo, A., Bernal, J., Turnbull, A., Mincher, D.J., and Bailly, C. (2005) 'Oxoazabenzo[de]anthrancenes conjugated to amino acids; synthesis and evaluation as DNA-binding antitumour agents', Bioconjugate Chemistry, 16, 949-958.
- Van Valckenborgh, E., Mincher, D.J., Di Savlo, A., Van Riet, I., Young, L., Van Camp, B., and Vanderkerken, K. (2005), 'Targeting an MMP-9-activated prodrug to multiple myeloma diseased bone marrow: a proof of principle in the 5T33MM mouse model', Leukemia, 19, 1628-1633.
Teaching Dr Di Salvo lectures in Pharmaceutical Science on modules including Molecular Pharmacy, Physical Pharmacy and Medicinal Chemistry. He is also module co-ordinator for Molecular Pharmacy.