Healthier workforces are more productive, and the Robert Gordon University recognises that an employer that takes the health and wellbeing of employees seriously reflects positively on the reputation and culture of the organisation.

Stress Management Policy

The University's Stress Management Policy Statement sets out expectations and responsibilities with the aims of identifying, assessing and controlling stress at work.

Stress Management Policy Statement (PDF 330KB)

The Stress Management Policy is supported by two appendices, describing the symptoms of stress and the HSE management standards, and a procedure for completion of the work related stress risk assessment.

Appendix 1 - Symptoms of Stress (PDF 40KB)

Appendix 2 - Management Standards (PDF 80KB)

Work Related Stress Risk Assessment Procedure (PDF 221KB)

Stress Risk Assessment Template (DOC 249KB)

Occupational Health

Occupational Health

What is Occupational Health?

Occupational health is the relationship between health and work. For some people a health issue will affect their ability to work or the type of work they can do. In other cases the work itself may have the potential to affect people's health.

What type of things does this cover?

Occupational health covers a wide range of issues too numerous to mention on this web page. This list below should be regarded as indicative but by no means exhaustive.

  • repetitive strain injuries (aka work related upper limb disorders)
  • injuries suffered due to accidents at or out with work
  • certain mobility problems
  • hearing problems caused by noise at work
  • chronic respiratory complaints
  • stress

Where can I get advice?

There are several sources of advice available. However, your main point of contact within the University is the HR Department. Your HR Client Partner can often point you in the right direction.

HR Client Partners can also call upon the Occupational Health and Safety Office (located within the HR Department) to give further advice and recommendations. Staff are also free to contact the Occupational Health and Safety Office directly.

If you are being treated by your GP or via hospital appointment for a condition, they may make recommendations or suggestions with regard to your work. Please ensure that you communicate these to your Line Manager and/or your HR Client Partner at the earliest available opportunity.

Occupational Health Medical Practitioners

Where it is considered necessary, you may be referred to an external Occupational Health Provider. Occupational Health Providers have a team of doctors, nurses and other health specialists who provide medical advice and examinations; often leading to recommendations to make your working life easier depending upon your health problems.

If it is felt that you might benefit from an appointment with a provider, your Line Manager will discuss this with the HR Department and decide whether to refer you. If referred, HR will make an appointment on your behalf to see the provider's doctor or other health specialist.

Access to Work Scheme

The Government's Employment Service operates a scheme called Access to Work. This provides advice for persons who may be viewed as disabled. In some cases it can also provide financial assistance for the provision of equipment to assist disabled employees in carrying out their work.

For further details please contact the OHES Office or see the Access to Work website.

Employee Support Helpline

RGU offers access to an independent Employee Support Helpline to assist with a wide range of issues.

Employee Assistance Programme

Management of Communicable Diseases at Robert Gordon University

The procedure agreed with NHS Grampian's Health Protection Team (HPT) outlines the measures to be taken in event of Communicable Disease incidents in the university population.

Management of Communicable Disease Incidents at Robert Gordon University (PDF 300KB)