The Collections contain student drawings, teaching equipment, photographs and ephemera relating to the history of the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and Built Environment.
We hold an important and valuable collection of antiquarian books mainly concerned with architecture but also including landscape architecture and art. Part of the collection comes from the original Aberdeen School of Art which pre-dates the founding of Gray's School of Art in 1885. Some of the more important volumes from this period were awarded as national prizes as a result of medals won by Aberdeen art students from the Science and Art Department at South Kensington.
In addition many volumes have been donated over the years by former students of the school of architecture, some of the volumes having belonged to prominent Aberdeen architects. In particular around 140 volumes were donated by the late John Maclennan, having belonged to himself or his father, Harbourne Maclennan, both partners in the long established firm of Jenkins and Marr.
In 2007, the university began to collect examples of student project work from the annual Degree Show, by means of purchase prizes. These additions complement the collection of student drawings from the 1920s to the 1970s that are already in the collections.