Your National Insurance (NI) number ensures the Inland Revenue (UK tax authorities) and Department for Work and Pensions correctly record NI contributions or credits to your NI account.

You must pay NI contributions if your weekly earnings are over £91 per week. You will need these contributions and credits when you come to claim benefit, whether it is for a short while, like Incapacity Benefit or long term, such as your Retirement Pension.

  • Your National Insurance (NI) Number is personal to you.
  • It is your account number allocated to you for you to use in all your dealings with Inland Revenue and the Department for Work and Pensions
  • It looks something like this: AB 12 34 56 C. In Aberdeen, to get an NI number you must arrange an appointment with the local office of the Department for Work and Pensions by calling (01224) 618 000. The office itself is located at Ebury House, 14 Dee Street, Aberdeen.

You will only need to pay income tax if you earn over £4745 a year. If you are working only during the holidays and think that you will not earn this much during the financial year (April 2004 to March 2005 or April 2005 to March 2006) then you can fill in a form P38(S) - your employer can give you a copy - and you will not have any tax deducted from your earnings.

If you are working during term time, you will have to fill in a separate form (P46). This will enable your employer, following the tax authorities' instructions, to decide what tax should be due from you. The tax authorities may also send you form P91 to complete. It is important that you complete and return this form to help ensure you do not pay too much tax.