Entrants to the UK from outside the European Economic Area and Swiss Nationals should apply as a student under the Tier 4 process of the UK Visa and Immigration Service points-based system of immigration.

If you already have a visa which you believe entitles to study in the UK we recommend you contact immigration@rgu.ac.uk in the first instance so our team can verify this for you.

Students applying for entry clearance will be required to score 40 points to be awarded a student visa. These 40 points are granted if you score:

  • 10 points if you can show you enough finances to cover your course fees for the first 12 months and your monthly living expenses (maintenance) for up to 9 months
  • 30 points for Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS).
    The CAS number is generated when a licensed immigration sponsor enters your data into the relevant Home Office electronic system. The CAS confirms you hold an unconditional offer and meet all our academic entry requirements.

To support the CAS statement you will need to be able to provide:

  • Valid financial documents such as original bank statements or official sponsorship letter. Please refer to: UKVI and Your Finances 2017-18 (PDF 482KB)
  • Original and/or certified supporting documents, for example Degree or IELTS certificates. 
  • A valid international passport with 6 months or more available time before the expiry date.

Who is my Licensed Immigration Sponsor?

All applicants under the Tier 4 (General) Student category need a sponsor - your sponsor will be the University which you are planning to study at therefore, in your case, it will be Robert Gordon University. Robert Gordon University is on the 'Register of Sponsors Licensed under the Points Based System'. Our sponsor number is EFAA7R620.

Tier 4 and Family Members / Dependants

Your family members (dependants) might be able to join or remain with you in the UK while you complete your studies. Depending on the level of study for which the main Tier 4 visa is issued, family members may not be able to join you. However,  we do not offer direct advice on dependant visas. Please refer to the UKVI webpages where they detail the requirements and eligibility of the dependant visa.