An official financial sponsor is defined in the Tier 4 policy guidance as:

  • the UK government
  • your home government
  • the British Council
  • any international organisation
  • an international company (the Home Office has not defined 'international company' but it seems to mean a company with a trading presence (an office) in more than one country)
  • any university
  • an Independent School

If you receive funding from any of the above sources, you will need a letter from them confirming how much money they will contribute towards your course fees and maintenance. The letter must show:

  • your name
  • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
  • the date of the letter
  • the length of the sponsorship
  • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you, or a statement that all course fees and living costs will be covered.

If your official financial sponsor is not covering all of your course fees and maintenance, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the rest of the money required. If this applies to you, then for this portion of funds which must show personally, you should refer to ‘I am a self-financing student’ to ensure your personal funds and documentary evidence meet requirements.

Your Finances

Financial Guide for All (PDF 137KB)

Cost of Living Guide (PDF 139KB)

RGU Food Shopping Guide (PDF 704KB)

UKVI and Your Finances (PDF 482KB)

Visa Application - Sample Government Sponsorship 2017 (PDF 39KB)

Your Visa Process

What is a CAS? Your CAS explained (PDF 134KB)

Tier 4 Visa Application Guide (PDF 295KB)

RGU Intent to Study and UKVI Credibility Interviews (PDF 215KB)

Tier 4 Visa Checklist (PDF 239KB)

TB Handout (PDF 351KB)