Fees, Costs and Funding

At Robert Gordon University, we appreciate that deciding to continue your studies in another country is a huge financial undertaking. The key to success is researching the expenses involved and planning your finances accordingly. Things you will need to take into consideration are tuition fees, accommodation, study materials and the cost of living.

Pieces of a puzzleThere are some additional sources of funding, such as scholarships but competition for these is tough, so this also requires researching and preparation.

This section aims to help you start this planning process and get a better idea of the financial implications of studying overseas. But don't forget, this short term expense will provide many years of long term benefit by providing you with an international qualification that is globally recognised and will help you establish or progress the career you desire.

In order to make the process of paying your deposit and fees as easy and flexible as possible, RGU has partnered with Western Union to accept payments in this way. Please see the "Bank-to-Bank Transfers" section for more information.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are set in relation to the type of course you are studying.

For example, due to the materials required, laboratory based courses are often more expensive than class based ones. Fees for Overseas Students also differ from fees for UK and European Union students.

Fees are listed on the page of the course that you are interested in, please visit the Areas of Study section for further information.

Paying Tuition Fees

We have an instalment plan to help spread the cost of paying your tuition fees. Please remember to include your Student Reference Number/ ID when making any payments or bank transfers.

Detailed information about paying your tuition fees can be found by following the link below:

Bank-to-bank transfers

The bank-to-bank transfer service allows students, their families or their sponsors the opportunity to send bank-to-bank transfers for payment of tuition fees in local currency for international students.

Paying your fees via our payments platform

International students can pay their fees using Robert Gordon University’s payments platform powered by our partner Western Union Business Solutions. This allows you, your parents and sponsors to pay GBP student fees in the currency of your choice and provides you with a simple and secure way to initiate a payment.

How it works?

Simply select the country you are paying from, what are you paying and your preferred method of payment. Enter your student details, following the payer details. If you pay via bank transfer, get your payment instructions to your bank (at branch, online or via phone) and make your payment. You can track your payment status through every step.

Benefits for you:

  • Pay international fees by bank transfer or online payment options
  • Convenient payment methods including AliPay, TenPay, UnionPay, Trustly, Sofort, etc
  • NO transaction charges from Robert Gordon University or Western Union Business Solutions
  • Peace of mind that your full payment is received by Robert Gordon University
  • Favourable exchange rates compared to most banks
  • Track your payment step by step
  • Intuitive, mobile friendly interface for a seamless payment experience
  • Multi language platform: French, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Indonesian, English, Spanish and Hindi
  • Customer support service to help you in every step

Western Union GlobalPay link


Should you require a refund of your deposit or tuition fees, please complete the form:

Bringing Money to the UK

There is no restriction on bringing money into the UK. However, you must declare to UK Customs if you bring more than the equivalent of €10,000 (approx. £8,000).

This includes currency, travellers cheques and bankers drafts. If you are planning to bring some of your own currency, check first that you are permitted to take it out of your country, and secondly that it can be changed in the UK.

There are many disadvantages with bringing large amounts of cash in to the UK. The most obvious problem is safety - if your cash is stolen, it is gone for good.

However you will need to bring some cash (£200 - £300) with you in order to meet day to day expenses, at least for the short term.

The best and safest way to bring money is to either bring Sterling travellers cheques or arrange two bank drafts:

  • one payable to The Robert Gordon University for your fees, with your student number and name on the back or as the reference details, and
  • one for your living costs, payable to your own name

Bringing bank drafts is one of the safest ways of bringing money to the UK. The down-side is that you will need to set up a bank account before you can receive the money. In addition to this, drafts can take up to two weeks to clear in your account (depending upon the bank). You should therefore bring some of your living costs as a mixture of cash and travellers cheques until your main draft clears.

Working in the UK

As an International Student it may be possible for you to work in the UK whilst you are studying, but your nationality will determine what conditions you need to meet so that you can work in the UK. The visa stamp on your passport will indicate if you are allowed to work or not.

As an adult student with a suitable visa:

  • You are allowed to work part-time during term time, up to a maximum of 20 hours a week and full-time during vacations
  • The work you do must not fill a full-time permanent vacancy (other than on a recognised Foundation Programme), and you can not be self-employed

Due to Aberdeen being a good sized, thriving, social city, there are lots of opportunities for part time employment in restaurants, cafes, bars, shops, cinema and theatres. Some students also chose to take a part time position which relates to their career ambitions, so will take office or agency work such as web design or PR/marketing positions.

In the UK, there is a minimum wage system which attempts to regulate payment for all employees. Find out the current National Minimum Wage from the DirectGov website.

At Robert Gordon University, we have an excellent Careers Centre that can help our students locate and prepare for applying to a range of local part time jobs whilst you are studying. Our Careers Centre can also help with career planning and how to prepare for the graduate employment market.

You can find full information about working while studying from our Student Services department.

  1. Cost of Living

    Finance & Scholarships

    Plan your living costs and balance your budget.

Emergency funds

Short Term Emergency Loans

You can apply to the University for an Emergency Loan if you suddenly find yourself in financial difficulty.

As these funds are extremely limited, the maximum loan that can be made is capped at £600.

Short-term emergency loans are available on a discretionary basis to assist students with an immediate financial crisis.

Short-term emergency loans are not grants and must be repaid nor are they a solution to long term underfunding or cash-flow problems.

You should familiarise yourself with the following terms and conditions before applying for an emergency loan:

  • Emergency loans are only issued to students registered on a Full Time Course
  • Emergency loans are only issued for essential maintenance costs such as food; travel to and from University, essential medical costs and essential consumables/toiletries.
  • Emergency loans will not be issued to fund tuition fees, library fines or any other fines which could have been avoided.
  • If you are in the final year of your course you are not eligible to apply for an emergency loan after your course end date regardless of graduation date.
  • Additional information may be requested to support your application.

Application Process

You can apply for a short-term emergency loan by attending a drop in session at the Student HelpPoint in Garthdee on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am – 1pm, or contacting Student Finance outwith these times.


Short-term emergency loans are interest free. A repayment date will be agreed during the meeting, taking into account when future income is expected. It may be possible to set up a repayment plan.

Students who fail to repay an emergency loan may:

  • experience registration delays
  • be refused future loans
  • be referred to the University's External Debt Collection Agency to recover the outstanding sum and this may adversely affect your credit rating. You will also be liable for any additional recovery costs.

International Fund

This fund is available to international students who have had a change in circumstances since starting their course which have resulted in them having financial difficulties.

Students are advised to speak to Student Finance before making an application.

Application forms can be obtained from the Student Help Point in the Health & Social Care building.

“I loved the opportunity to interact with UK and international students on a daily basis.”

Jerry George Oil and Gas Engineering MSc